Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wing Dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing Dimensions

Can anyone tell me what the length, width and thickness of the 4-place wings? I need to build some crates for when I go pickup some wings from the guy I bought them from and would like to have them built and ready to go when I leave in a couple weeks.

Thanks.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

With or without control surfaces and wing tips?

Comment

No wing tips and control surfaces not attached.

Comment

You might consider a wing cradle and a few ratchet straps....move them upright, they make for great storage on the destination end too.

Last edited by mswain; 12-15-2014, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I thought about a vertical cradle bit I'm going 1200 miles and the borrowed trailer only has 4 tiedowns (one in each corner). Figured the most secure way to haul it will be too stack the wings and fuselage then tie them down at each corner. The vertical stabilizer isn't on yet so it should fit in the 20x8x7' enclosed trailer I'm using.

Comment

My wings are 50 1/2 inches wide, 8 1/2 inches thick and 13 feet 11 inches long. Hope this helps.

Comment

Big thanks AKbearhawk!

Comment

Can you find a set of shipping crates they come in from Mark's factory?
                They are great protection, kept those until we were fully assembled and flying, others may have their's lying around free for a loan / purchase?

The fuselage bolt's right on top, it's a neat little (500lb!) package.

Comment

Our Bearhawk wings are about 66" wide at the ends where the wing is full width against the fuselage and at the other end the tail rib is the full wing pattern. This is the typical configuration of a bare wing. You may want to check the inside dimensions of the trailer against the fuselage if it has the tail post. The dimensions are nominal and the interior may be smaller than anticipated. If your trailer is similar to this one then tie down rings can be snapped in the tie down bars that are along the floor & level with the bottom of the windshield. I rented this enclosed trailer this summer to pick up the next project that was 1200 miles away.
                  IMG-20130919-00100.jpgProject.jpg

Glenn
                  Attached Files

Comment

The factory wings do not come with the root and tip rib extensions installed. They must be added later by the builder.

Comment

The extra wings I recently sold were 14' 1/4" long including the main spar mounting point (no tips of course).

Mark J

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post
                        Can you find a set of shipping crates they come in from Mark's factory?
                        I thought about that but there isn't anyone around my location that has built or currently building a Bearhawk.

These wings are scratch built and have the root and tip rib extensions installed

Thanks for the help guys.
                        Last edited by whee; 12-16-2014, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks AKBH. I looked at MSwains photo & saw that it was different. I have not seen the kit wings so the experience is only with the scratch built. The bare factory wings look great. One caution to Whee is that the outboard rib is really easy to bend. We bent one end rib & was able to restore it with a couple flutes to level the distorted skin strip. The good news is that it disappeared nicely under the wing tips to look untouched. It may be an idea to zip tie a board or piece of conduit along the length outside rib to reinforce & protect the tail of the rib.
                          Good luck with your adventures to pick up the BH.
                          Glenn
                          Last edited by Glenn Patterson; 12-16-2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I'll be sure that everything is packaged carefully and secure in the trailer. I'm also making sure I have some kind of insurance coverage on the trailer contents for the drive home.

Comment

Whee, I hauled my wings from Ca to WI with just some egg crate foam from a mattress liner and a few ratchet straps. The roads were rough, but the load never moved. The foam works really well and can be purchased really cheap at you local Walmart.

Comment

Working...
                              X