Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control stick clearance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control stick clearance question

Can someone please tell me how much clearance there is between your stick, when full aft, and the cross-tube under the seat? My seats have a crank-screw mechanism for fore-aft adjustment and I am concerned it may interfere with the stick.

DSCN3878.JPG
    Last edited by patrickh99; 10-01-2015, 09:34 PM.

Mine contacts if the seats are too far forward.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

That handle you have added does look like it will interfere with the stick movement.

The only thing the sticks "should" come anywhere close to, is the front edge of the front seats - which it should *only just* touch when the seat is full forward - allowing some room for upholstery (if you set your seat stop in the more forward position acceptable).
      It shouldn't come anywhere close to the diagonal tube underneath the seat.

I find that I regularly adjust my seats over the full range of movement.
      I am 6'3" with shoes on, and I like to be far forward for take-off and landing, right at the back for cruising long distance in flight.
      After running the seat forward for landing, I run it hard back again so I can physically get out of the plane without man-handling my knees.
      So - one of the things I like about seat track designs of Cessna / Piper / Bob Barrows is the ability to move the seat a long way very quickly. Often once you shut-down, you just want to jump out immediately to stretch legs / greet friends. Seat adjustment is important.
      Last edited by Battson; 10-04-2015, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        I should add, you can always 'cut your cloth to suit' when you make the control cables. You simply set up the stick so the centre is further forward. This is an easy way to create more clearance - but of course then everything ends up further forward - including your reach at full stick forward. By the way, sticks also have to clear the panel (pass underneath) even with the full stick back position almost touching the seats.

I moved the seat around just like Battson; far forward for landing/takeoff and way back for cruise. The lead screw idea is cool and may work for you but it wouldn't work for me.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Working...
      X