Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tasks to Complete Before Painting Airframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you considered Fresh Air ventilation and heat and how they might require some more tabs?
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Bdflies
      Bdflies commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep! You ALWAYS need more tabs...

Not more tabs! haha. HVAC has been considered and accounted for...well except the AC part.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Don't forget the Avionics tray if you are putting any Dynon stuff in.

Comment

I am doing the same thing trying to go for sandblast on powdercoat next week.

Comment

huntaero;

Re-think the powder coating idea. While the coating is very good, the process does nothing to inhibit corrosion on the metal surface. Once corrosion starts, it will prorogate under the coating. Also, it is a bear if you have to do any welding after you have powder coated a surface. With a good epoxy primer, the corrosion will be confined to the area where the coating is damaged.

I plan to use white epoxy primer and paint the portions of the frame that are not covered with fabric. I was advised by the Poly Fiber people that any color other than white can show through some of their fabric colors.

I have used powder coatings on many of my race car frames but recently I have returned to just priming the frames because repairs are so much easier and corrosion is not an issue. With race cars, frame repairs are very common and frequent.

Comment

• huntaero
            huntaero commented
            Editing a comment
            thanks for the info had heard about this but wasn't to sure which route to go. I have done lots of airframes with epoxy but never one with powdercoat.

[QUOTE=S Lathrop;n26302]huntaero;

I plan to use white epoxy primer and paint the portions of the frame that are not covered with fabric. I was advised by the Poly Fiber people that any color other than white can show through some of their fabric colors."

That really surprises me. The Poly Fiber process wants you to spray multiple coats of silver (Poly Spray) untilI there's no light transmission through the fabric. I can't imagine any underlying structure color showing through.

I'll second your comments about the difficulty of repairing powder coated tubing! You literally have to grind the coating off! Epoxy is easier, lighter and much more repairable. Even if the "repair" is just adding another tab..

Bill

Comment

(quote) That really surprises me. The Poly Fiber process wants you to spray multiple coats of silver (Poly Spray) untilI there's no light transmission through the fabric. I can't imagine any underlying structure color showing through. (quote)

The tech guy said that the frame primer color would show through certain colors, yellow in particular. I do know that yellow is a difficult color when it comes to covering. My guess is that with the adhesives that will be present where the fabric is bonded to the frame rails, the Poly Spray buildup will not be sufficient to block the under laying color of the tube.

Comment

Working...
            X