Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transponder antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transponder antenna

Hi,
    I have a rod type transponder antenna and was planning to install it on the lower left boot cowl panel (the small lower panel) or on the most forward location on the large panel between the main gear?
    Wondering about the gear leg interference with the Tx signal.
    What's the best suggested location?
    Mike

Aero tango, The gear leg will have little or no effect on the Transponder signal, however, try and keep it about 3 or 4 feet from the radio antenna. Put the radio antenna aft and the trans. antenna fwd. I am putting my ELT antenna on top of the wing root faring, also, do not forget the importance of a (ground plane /reflector plate) if mounting in fabric area. Stinger

Comment

My transponder antenna is on the small boot cowl panel on the right side. Com antenna is on the left wing fairing. VOR antenna is under the rear floor. It all plays well together.

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        Which COM antenna did you use Mike? I might end up trying one out.

That's because I am left wondering if the location of my COM antenna is creating a minor radio interference issue due to proximity to the engine / mags. Does 'Maverick' have any issues like that - I didn't recall so?

It could also be the resistor-free spark plugs which I have been using (unintentionally)....
        Last edited by Battson; 04-25-2016, 11:49 PM.

My transponder antenna is mounted in the panel between the gear legs (the big one) - this works just fine. Just as well as any certificated installation.

It's close-ish to the COM radio - about 2.5 feet, but seems to have absolutely no noticeable effect (including interference I mention in the comment above, that is not related to the Transponder - easy to test for that).
      Last edited by Battson; 04-25-2016, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X