Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wing Skinning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing Skinning

I'm having trouble figuring out how the wing skins overlap. Does the inside skin overlap the rib on the tip side by the amount specified or do the two skins overlap each other by that amount?

I realize that's a pretty cryptic (confusing because I'm confused) question, so let me ask another related. Eric's manual says to cut the wing skins with 1" extra all around. I can't find anything that says when to trim it to the final size? Is it before or after marking and drilling the rivet holes?

Comment

BA,

I'll give this a shot. Others may chime in once I show myself.

On the overlaps: I assume you are looking at plans sheet 2. The 5/8 inch overlap between the 2 most outboard skins occurs over midrib #11 & nose rib #20. This overlap is wide enough to capture both skins and the rib flange with enough rivet edge distance on both skins with one row of rivets. On the other 3 overlaps, which are 1" overlaps, (see the full size detail on the bottom right-hand side of the plans sheet) the overlap must be wide enough (1") to capture both skins and the underlying rib flange with one row of rivets and just capture the two skins with the second row of rivets; again leaving enough edge distance on both skins. You'll need at least 1" of overlap for these double row seams.

On trimming skins: I did as Eric suggested and rough cut the skins at least an inch too large in both dimensions. I did use a factory edge for the all overlapping edges since they are nice and straight. I put my cut edge of a skin as the underlapping edge. I did all my final trimming of skins after I had drilled all the skins to the skeleton.

Hope this helps. If not, keep asking and someone will say the magic words to turn on the light.

Best,
      John

Comment

John,

Yes, I'm looking at the plans sheet 2. Actually that is a very good explanation. I didn't see that the 5/8 overlap was only one row of rivets. I like the idea of using the factory edge as the overlying skin. It just seemed hard to make the final cut after the skin had been bent. I've been using a router to make the cuts which makes a really straight cut but not possible with the skin bent. I'm going to Oshkosh next week so will be able to further clarify some of this. I'm probably trying to make it too hard.

Thanks, Bill

Comment

I just trimmed up all my skins last week. As John mentioned, I waited until everything was drilled. I trimmed mine with hand shears and had no trouble going around the leading edge curve. Some sandpaper stapled to a 2 foot piece of 1x3 had the edges looking good in no time.

Comment

• BAnton
            BAnton commented
            Editing a comment
            Good idea with the sandpaper!!

I'll second mswain's comments. Fit the skins with extra all around. Then when it all fits, you can trim it down to size and start the interminable deburring / dimpling process.
          Guess what I did this weekend. Deburring and dimpling.
          David Edgemon RV-9A N42DE flying RV-8 N48DE flying Patrol #232 N553DE in progress ! Plans built.

Comment

• BAnton
            BAnton commented
            Editing a comment
            That's the life of a home builder. When people look at my project they always comment that they wouldn't have the patience. I tell them I wouldn't have the patience to sit on my butt and watch tv all day

boy isn't that the truth, so many folks act like they want to fly or to have an airplane, but when it gets right down to doing the hard work, they're not interested. Its a pet peeve of mine, wanting it to be easy. Well flying isn't easy, and building airplanes surely isn't. Thats one of the reason I like to hang out with homebuilders, they are doers not just talkers.
          David Edgemon RV-9A N42DE flying RV-8 N48DE flying Patrol #232 N553DE in progress ! Plans built.

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
            Gerhard Rieger commented
            Editing a comment
            What a waste of good time, building an A/C is so much fun, work, what work. I'm at it for 4 years now and it my time . Great to see others feeling the same.
        Working...
        X