Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trim horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim horn

I have made the mod with the wood formers on the stabilizer The horn on the trim rod will extend 1/4 inch less out from the fabric than without the formers
    Do I have to extend the horn so the rod end get the same space from the fabric as it had without the formers or is it other recommendations

How much travel is recommended for the trim tab to get sufficient trim at fwd/aft cg

Bjørn

Hello Bjorn. I don't think you will have to extend those horns on the bottom of your hor stabs. You should be OK from what others have reported.

When building, it is easy to worry about the travel of the trim tabs. But when flying you will see that much less movement happens in the air than what you see on the ground. You do need decent "up" trim. But nose down trim - very little is required. So you could bias the position of everything when you set it up to favor the "up" trim. But it probably will not be necessary. All trim movement is usually used for landing with forward CG. MUCH less movement with aft CG. Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark

Comment

It happens that I was just measuring mine for Larry yesterday. My stabs are flat, so you may see some difference. I measured with the trim in the takeoff position and with the elevator counterbalance even with the horizontal stab, and found that the trailing edge of the tab was deflected towards the sky by approximately 1/4 inch. That was the distance between the top of the tab trailing edge and the top of the elevator trailing edge. Then without moving the elevator, I set the trim where it usually is for landing with my most forward CG. The tab was deflected towards the ground so that the top of the tab trailing edge was even with the bottom of the elevator trailing edge. At aft CG, I use less trim for landing. So in all, the most travel that I use was about 3/4" at the trailing edge. I'm using the standard kit tab arrangement, which has the two small tabs. Does that all make sense? I suppose pictures would have been better.

Comment

The travel makes sense The figures was one of the things I was looking for.
          I have not yet bent the trim rod
          With horn deflection of approximate 45 degree each way the the rod and the attachment to the horn (bolt and nut) will stay clear of the fabric without formers.
          I believe with the short horn and the formers I have to make a wider slot in the fabric to get space for the rod attachment to the horn so it can move freely
          What and how have others done ?

Bjorn

Comment

Both my friend and I have the profiles installed, neither of us have extended the horns. No problems.

Comment

Thank you Battson

Comment

hi Bjorn you have a PM in your in box
                Paul Dennington plans #1257

scratch built 4 place

England

Comment

Hello bjorn

are you receiving any PMs ????

scratch built 4 place

England

Comment

If you mean parts modification to my mailbox it is no ?
                    Bjørn

Comment

Hi Bjorn
                      I was referring to your Personal Messages ?? If you click the message box in the top right hand corner ,next to your name ,when you have logged in ,it takes you to the message center ,click on your in box

cheers paul

scratch built 4 place

England

Comment

Working...
                      X