Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too cold in the garage to weld and I'm kinda tired of fab work at the moment. Just purchased another core engine and am now screwing around with panel design.

Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Aileron Push Rod. There is a story of a proud builder that brought his newly made rib to a meeting. He handed it to someone and said look how stiff it is. The gentlemen promptly bent it. I am never letting anybody near my parts.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      Stan
      Austin Tx

Comment

Made a heckuva lot of sawdust tonight finishing routing jigs for Patrol wings. Sure glad I bought that shop air filter last week! MDF dust is nasty stuff. Dust mask, shop vac, and everything else going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Here is a picture of my BH with the 26" Goodyears and Stolspeed VG's.

VG's brought the stall speed down almost 5MPH. I previously posted that they also hurt top speed about the same - after taking more careful data on a calm day, it really only hurt top speed maybe 1-2 MPH. Originally I had taken the top speed data on a rough and bumpy day and didn't get very good results. Overall I'm happy with the addition.

26" Goodyears are a good compromise for me - home airport is asphalt so bush wheels are not very practical. They do a nice job of absorbing the rough terrain better than the 7.00's I had on previously. Running at 12PSI - haven't yet installed "bead locker screws" but will next time the wheels are off.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• n144sh
            n144sh commented
            Editing a comment
            I really need to get the cowling painted and add some nice accent stripes - but having way too much fun flying to bother with that right now.

Looking pretty badass Steve! I still need to get down there when it's not raining ice. Like your spots in the Oratex ads... at least it looks like yours.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Starting on the engine mount.

I'm using L-track to mount my rear seats to. Started looking at how I want to secure them.

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
              Chris In Milwaukee commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking great!

• Bcone1381
              Bcone1381 commented
              Editing a comment
              I love to see progress like this. Thanks for sharing Whee!

As I mentioned in my most recent post of Having a Rib Party, I blew up my router last night when I got a little bit cocky and probably tried to cut more aluminum than I should have. I got moving a little too fast while cutting the lightening holes, the blade grabbed, the worked got crazy, I broke the teeth off of the bit, and likely overheated the field windings. Sad day for my trusty Freud! But alas, Bosch came to the rescue with a replacement! And, I got the you-blow-it-up-we'll-replace-it-anyway plan for it. You just never know when you'll need it! So back to work I go!
            Christopher Owens
            Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
            Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
            Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Well, I've finished the fuel line runs and made significant progress on the interior panels. I didn't care for the aluminum rear window channels, so I'm working on a set of stainless steel channels, that'll be welded in. But that's not what prompted me to pipe up.
              We all have projects that we avoid. Those unknown areas that we dread, because of the consequences of a screw up. Well, Today, I boldly charged in, where angels fear to tread... Some background; The project I bought, included a Barrows O-360, built as an A1A. That configuration is 'constant speed capable', but was configured for a fixed pitch prop. The project also came with a Catto 82-48, optimized for the Patrol. Problem is, I'm going to install a constant speed prop. Yes, the Catto is available. I'll post that on the Classified section. Because it was set up for the Catto, there was a nose plug in the crank. Also, I didn't know if the inner plug was pierced, or if the inner plug was the type that could use a screw in plug. Doing something stupid here, could really screw the pooch! Putting a nick in that crank would not be good... But I dove in!
              I collapsed the nose p

Comment

Damn! Touched the wrong spot....
                I collapsed the nose plug and took it out. The inside of the crank looks great! But there was no rear plug at all... Lycoming says it's a 1 3/4" plug at the rear, so I bought one. At the local auto parts store... It went in just fine!
                The task I dreaded, went smooth as possible...

I don't know what I'll be reluctant about next, but surely it'll come!

Bill

Comment

The last few days have been discouraging. I've spent about 16 hours producing scrap. Today I finally produce some flight hardware and it feels good. Sometimes I feel like I'll never finish the wings. Plus I'm still trying to find some of that Military Grade High Strength Aluminum Alloy. Where do you find that stuff?
                  Gerry
                  Patrol #30 Wings endlessly

Comment

Originally posted by geraldmorrissey View Post
                    ..... Plus I'm still trying to find some of that Military Grade High Strength Aluminum Alloy. Where do you find that stuff?....
                    Ford parts dept.

Doug

Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

Originally posted by DRLPatrol

Ford parts dept.

Doug
                      Don't you mean "National Aircraft Parts Association" Doug?? Ha!
                      Gerry, we have a place called Columbia Airmotive... I might've missed it but what components are you looking for?
                      Mark
                      Scratch building Patrol #275
                      Hood River, OR

Comment

Just a couple more tubes to add then finish weld and the engine mount will be done.

Untitled by Jon Whee, on Flickr

Comment

welding on fuselage station H
                          David Edgemon RV-9A N42DE flying RV-8 N48DE flying Patrol #232 N553DE in progress ! Plans built.

Comment

I hung my new Bearhawk calendar in preparation for 2016...
                            http://www.mykitlog.com/yadama

Comment

Working...
                            X