Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Force on trim tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force on trim tab

I'm thinking the method I used to mount the end of my push/pull cables in the elevator isn't strong enough. I'm trying to guesstimate how many pounds of force would need to be applied to the trailed edge of the trim tab to approximate the load placed on it during flight. What's your SAWG?
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

You can calculate an estimate pretty easily by rearranging the Bernoulli equation, plus some simple vector / moment calculations.

But.... that would be hard work.

The practical engineer in me says - theory be damned, it's just one small part. Make it 4 times stronger than you need it.

Ok - I just ran some numbers an easier way.

My electric servo can exert roughly 4.0 N (say ~4 kg or ~8 lbs) at the end of the trim tab, with some allowance for friction. That much force would be vastly more than is required.
    Last edited by Battson; 08-24-2016, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Huge thanks Battson! I was worried there for a minute that I'd have to dust off the textbooks. I would like to make it way stronger than needed but I'm also going have have 50hp less than Z; if I want to kick his ass in a stol comp I need to watch the weight

We've decided to modify the weak point by moving the cable connection on the trim tab to the inside edge like Pat has on his. Hopefully that will reduce the moment that is twisting the elevator rib to the point it doesn't twist.

Comment

Originally posted by whee View Post
        Huge thanks Battson! I was worried there for a minute that I'd have to dust off the textbooks. I would like to make it way stronger than needed but I'm also going have have 50hp less than Z; if I want to kick his ass in a stol comp I need to watch the weight

We've decided to modify the weak point by moving the cable connection on the trim tab to the inside edge like Pat has on his. Hopefully that will reduce the moment that is twisting the elevator rib to the point it doesn't twist.
        Is that a (potential)problem in the stock configuration? Twisting of the elevator rib? Didn't Pat change more than just the connection location - thought I read he completely changed to a servo'd trim tab vs. the fixed via the plans? Whee did you move to a servo system as well?

Comment

It is not a problem with the stock system. I created the problem when I modified the trim system. I have since fixed the problem.

The stock system has servoing trim tabs. Pat's systems, which I kinda followed, makes it so the trim tabs don't servo when the elevator is moved.

Comment

It would be great to see some pictures of your system Whee.

Comment

I just tore the plane down to finish weld and prep for paint. I'll look and see if I have any pics of the trim system.

Comment

whee Hows your pitch trim system working out ?
                Nev Bailey
                Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                YouTube - Build and flying channel
                Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Originally posted by Nev View Post
                  whee Hows your pitch trim system working out ?
                  I really like it. IMO it makes the controls well balanced. There are some flaws that could be eliminated on another revision but they aren’t a big enough deal for me to tear into the plane to change them.

Comment

Working...
                  X