Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off airport video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off airport video

Here is something we put together in an afternoon the other weekend.
    Last edited by Battson; 09-23-2014, 09:16 PM. Reason: I guess for a little context, we had about 70% fuel, two people, and plenty of gear with us during most of the filming.

I really enjoy your pictures and videos. This was no exception!

Comment

Great stuff! Your videos and photos are inspiring and help to keep me motivated. They also reassure the decision to build the Bearhawk. Great flyer. Thank you for sharing.
      John, Naples FL
      Bearhawk 4-Place Plans #1316
      Patrol Plans #006
      Experience is something you get, right after you need it.

Comment

Thanks for sharing! I like how that landing surface shows your wheel marks, so you can compare the landing roll distance with the takeoff distance in the cases where you land, turn around, and take off again. I haven't found anything like that around here to land on yet.

Comment

Yeah it's good like that.

Of course, you can take off in a fraction of the landing distance with all those horsepower. I don't always backtrack the whole way, which I realise is risky - but in this situation it's all risky. Sometimes we take the tailwind in the video too, where I think I am safe to do so, just to save taxiing on the rough stuff.

Worth mentioning we aren't trying to pull up short where there's room to roll out long. Not worth the risk of running the brakes hard, unnecessarily. I didn't get some of the hardest (shortest) landings on film as luck would have it (flat battery!).

I would say the BH can be stopped in about 60% the distance of the shortest landing shown in the video. But that requires locking the wheels, which can be risky on that surface, although I have done it several times before. With the bead-locks, there has been zero rim creep at 14psi, despite that rough treatment.

Comment

That was awesome, very inspiring to get my butt out to the garage. I like the thumbs up at the end.

Comment

Working...
            X