Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bending the LSA aileron nose skins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bending the LSA aileron nose skins

The bend on the LSA aileron nose skin is fairly sharp. How about some clues as to how to bend them.
    Thanks.

I have bent aileron nose skins 2 different ways. One method is to set the oversize alum on the a table or the floor and sandwich the alum trailing edge lengthwise between two 2x4s clamped together. This leaves a loop at the leading edge. Then take another 2x4 and push down on the alum behind the leading edge until you coax it to the desired radius. This method is less precise than method 2.

Method 2 requires two 2x4s or 4x4s mounted to a piece of 3/4" ply laid out so they are parallel to each other with a gap between them. The width of the gap has to be determined by experiment.
    The oversized alum is marked with a centerline and the CL is set midway between the 2 parallel 2x4s. The alum is then pushed between the 2x4s with another piece of ply which has a rounded leading edge--I used a 1 1/2" wood handrail from the lumber yard and plastic pipe. Either one will work once you figure out how to attach it to the 3/4" edge of the ply. You have to experiment with pushing small strips of alum to determine the spacing and the diameter of the pusher. On the edge opposite the plastic pipe or handrail I attached a 2x4 as a handle.. It takes 2 people--one on each end of the pusher to force the alum between the parallel 2x4s. I was bending .032 so I used my hanger bifold door to force the alum down. Once you determine the gap you can widen it for the first push before a second push at the final gap.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I do not have enough weight in my back end to bend it. I decided it was easier to redesign the nose rib and make 18 new ones. I took the sharp bend out and I am very happy with the results. As far as I am concerned, there was no point in having the sharp bend.

Comment

Working...
      X