Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throttle Quadrant on LSA or Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Quadrant on LSA or Patrol

I am building an LSA. I need guidance on placement and installation of the throttle quadrants. I did not see anything in the plans, but I did find a fuzzy picture in the LSA Book that was showing the window latch and I could see what I thought was the throttle handle. Thanks.

Bob Barrows was just telling me that he worked with Eric Newton on installing his throttle quadrant, and what Eric did might work well for you Rolly in your LSA. The tubing lay out is the same. Eric welded in a bracket I think. But it might be possible to use some clamps around the tubing instead of welding.

Eric - do you have any pictures of what you did? Thanks. Mark

Comment

Yes - take a look at this web page on my site: (link removed due to URL change) Scroll down after opening it Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS http://mybearhawk.com
      Last edited by jaredyates; 01-13-2020, 10:23 AM.
      Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
      Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
      http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

Eric & Mark; Thanks for the fotos. Big help! RC

Comment

Hi Rolly,
          Here's some pics showing similar to Eric's setup but not going thru the sill plate. Still welded brackets front and rear for supports but we wanted to keep throttle inside of sill to incorporate an armrest. It's very comfortable but was a fair bit more work.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 5 photos.
          Steve Busby
          www.aeroliteflight.ca

Comment

How was your clearance from the flap handle at full flaps?
            Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
            Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
            http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

At full flaps Brian has to flatten out his hand a bit to clear his knuckles, he has large hands. All the other positions were fine. With just a single lever quadrant there would be lots of room. Flap clearance was the reason for not going with a three lever quadrant.
              Good notice, I should have mentioned that!
              Steve Busby
              www.aeroliteflight.ca

Comment

I am considering going with the Patrol QB fuselage deluxe kit to speed up the build process but mostly because I have no welding experience. All the completed Patrols that I have seen pictures of have a side mounted throttle quadrant and that seems to be the preferred way to go. Would anyone know if the QB fuselage kit will come with tabs for a throttle quadrant attach brackets pre-welded or is a throttle quadrant considered an optional feature that would need to be fabricated by the builder?

Comment

I've been looking at threads regarding Patrol/LSA throttle-quadrant placement. Some appear to be in window sill, some are mounted mostly inside the fuselage tubing, some appear to have most of the mechanism outside the fuselage tubing, some are mounted quite hight up. Personally, I think I would like having my throttle down closer to elbow-level
                  Anyone ever do it wrong? Suggestions appreciated/

Comment

On my Patrol I located the throttle quadrant so it would interfere a little getting that last flap position with the flap stick almost all the way to 90 degrees.. If you were not thinking about it, you could scrape your knuckle a little. Mark

Comment

Wanted to add my $.02 here. I wanted a 3 lever quadrant and I'm glad I did it. It's amazing to be able to modulate the throttle and prop with a couple of fingers, simultaneously. Yeah, I'm easily amused! My quadrant is inside the fuselage, at the level of the window sill. The window sill is a comfortable level as an arm rest. I also added a padded rest, just behind the pilot quadrant. Rarely do I move my left arm from this spot. It's comfortable. Very quickly, I discovered that I was unable to pull all 4 notches of flap. My quadrant enclosure was so close to the flap handle that hand position was impeded. I think the original handle was a bit short - limiting leverage, but that's my impression. I made another offset flap handle that allows good clearance and added leverage, to allow grabbing that elusive 4th notch! Pics attached.

A quick additional comment: Brought my son for a ride last week. He's 6'2" about 230#. He's got lots of hours in the back seat of a Husky. He couldn't stop ranting about how roomy the Patrol is. He referred to the back seat as "a couch"! Makes a Daddy proud...

Bill
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Working...
                      X