Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib to attach angle fasteners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rib to attach angle fasteners

Going through the drawings the only place I can find a callout for the above is sheet 3. It shows a -3 fastener for all rib stiffeners and for the rib/attachment angle joints with the exception of the doubled up center rib #1, with -4's. I cannot find any other callouts for these particular fasteners on other sheets. I'm going by the old drafting rule that unless otherwise called out, that single -3 callout applies to all those center cross locations. Is there anything I missed?
    Thanks
    Gerry
    Patrol #30 wings

I was going to ask Bob about this but never saw him at Oshkosh to ask...
    Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

Gerry,
      Did you figure this out?
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

No I never did get an answer. It's call Bob time. I'll let you know.
        Cheers
        Gerry
        Patrol #30 Spars
        Seattle

Comment

The dash number you're looking for refers to the rivet length, correct? Can one simply follow the standard of (grip length) + 1.5 * diameter?
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Qualifier: I don't have Patrol plans.
            Bob doesn't give length designations of rivets, -3, -4, or -5 refers to diameter. He also doesn't tend to give information more than necessary, but rather follows established guidelines as noted in original post. From the original post, it seems you have the answer in -3s, assuming by "center cross locations" you are referring to false spar, etc.

Let's go make noise!
            Mark J

Comment

The -3 and -4 callouts I'm referring to in the original post are diameter not length.
              Cheers
              Gerry
              Patrol #30

Comment

I read the callouts as -3 for the rib to attach angle attachments (except for the root rib) and -4 for the attach angle to spar and -5 for attach angle to main spar through the cap strips. This would make sense because rivets are stronger in shear than in tension and the -3 rivets would be more In shear and the spar rivets would be more in tension. You can always ask Bob or just use -4.
                John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Know this is late but I confirmed -3's for the angles with Mark some time ago

Comment

Working...
                  X