Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which way should the grain run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which way should the grain run?

Do you guys fuss over which way the aluminum sheet grain runs when you cut out your rib blanks? Should the flanges bend across the grain?
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

According to Bob he designed it as to not have to worry about it. This is what he told me in person at his place.

Comment

Bob told me the same thing. The design is robust enough that we don't need to worry about grain direction.
      Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
      Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
      http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

If possible always bend against the grain.

Make a couple samples one bent with and one bent against the grain. Now flatten the piece and re-bend in the same spot. You'll see for yourself...

I'm not saying Bob is wrong and will not question his design. But as a general rule I try to bend against the grain.
        Last edited by X'N; 09-16-2014, 02:27 PM.
        Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

Thanks guys! The sheets came in and although bending across the grain seems to make sense, I couldn't always cut out the blanks in that orientation. There were some preexisting scratches that forced me to get a little creative with the cut-outs.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
          X