Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inspection holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspection holes

Is there any reason why the inspection holes in the wings are square rather than round? Would there be any problem if I made them round rather than square.
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

The local builder I know here made his round. He made a press die to achieve a nice recess and his inspection holes look just like what is on a Cessna. I'll be doing the same on my bottom skin in a couple weeks. Seems like a much easier approach, and a lot less screws to worry about at annual time.

Comment

I don't foresee any issue as long as you can get your hand in there and work. There will be a backing ring riveted onto the skin for the nutplates that will absorb any stress and provide additional structural support.
      Joe
      Scratch-building 4-place #1231
      Almost Wyoming region of Nebraska

Comment

I like the idea of round holes but, how are you going to get the backing ring through the round hole to install it? With a square hole you can put it through at an diagonal.

Doug
        Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

I suppose one could do a taco type of maneuver.

Comment

Can you install the backing rings before the skins are riveted on?

Comment

Working...
            X