Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landing light and taxi light angle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing light and taxi light angle?

I am planning on installing LED landing(spot) and taxi (flood) lights in the wing near the tips. I have wing landing lights in my cherokee and really like it for recognition in the air. I am trying to get the down tilt close. I have been looking around and comparing to a cessna 180 and other tail draggers. Some have said to set the landing light 5 deg down from level flight and the taxi light 5 deg more. Do any of you guys have a good starting point?
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

I think landing/taxi lights on a homebuilt are a waste of time. I would think long and hard before installing them. Ask around and find out if people that went to the bother to install them really use them enough to warrant the weight and complexity. I did a survey on my airport and have decided to forgo the whole thing.
    Just my .02.
    Cheers
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

Comment

I will be adding landing and taxi lights. I have been on many x-countries and been caught out on nice evenings and used my lights. It also makes YOU more visable ant dusk. I will be installing mine in the cowling. For what my opinion is worth.......
      Barry Cole plans building serial #265 Patrol

Comment

Yes it is 8*F this evening and I just completed my night currency in the bearhawk. I would not fly a plane at night without a landing light and a taxi light. I like one on both wing tips but the cowl would work also. The problem is not the landing, I could land just as well without a landing or taxi light, it is taxing back to my hanger at night. You can not see the corners well enough to taxi without a taxi light. At a strange airport I want all of the light I can get to keep me away from stationary objects. A landing light or taxi light is a simple install compared to the rest of the electrical system.

Comment

I think it's dropping down into the 60's tonight. Might have to keep the kids home from school tomorrow with this horrible weather.
          John, Naples FL
          Bearhawk 4-Place Plans #1316
          Patrol Plans #006
          Experience is something you get, right after you need it.

Comment

I've been driving to work with the windows open.

John Massaro
            Plans Building LSA - 091
            Arizona

Comment

On my Bearhawk, I adjusted my taxi light at night

Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
              Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC
              Bearhawk Manuals
              Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
              Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
              http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment