Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New potential builder - what's the QB process like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New potential builder - what's the QB process like?

Hello everyone! I have a lot of respect for all of your accomplishments and experience on this forum. It's a pleasure to meet you.

I've wanted to build a Bearhawk for several years to fulfill my fantasy of camping/hunting/fishing in the back country. I've taken a few airframe and power plant classes in college and enjoy working on my jeep and feel I could learn everything necessary to build an airplane.

I'm very interested though to hear of your experiences building the Bearhawk, specifically the QB kit. I must admit to being a bit of an instruction follower and am a bit concerned about the lack of clear building instructions. I've subscribed to bear tracks, read the Avipro manual and bought the Newton builder manuals. While those resources seem to be very good in what they cover, it seems there may be things that are uncovered. I have a lot of respect for well engineered methods and am apprehensive that any engineering that was left up to me would be sub par. Maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing and it's not nearly as complicated as I'm expecting it to be.

Anyway, I'm excited to hear what the process was actually like.

Thank-you for your time!

Bobby Stokes
    Last edited by swpilot3; 12-14-2014, 08:12 AM.
    Bobby Stokes
    4-Place Kit Builder
    Queen Creek, AZ
    http://azbearhawk.com

I'm glad you are here Bobby! Building from a kit is far less work than building from scratch, though it is still a big job that is best to approach as several small tasks. In my case I travel for work, so I was able to think about the next building session while I was away, then come home and start working in an organized way. By working on one or a few small tasks at a time, eventually you start running out of those mini-projects, and the airplane is ready to fly. Sometimes I would get bogged down on one particular step, and in those cases I would seek help from other builders. For Bearhawk-specific questions I would come to the Bearhawk community, though sometimes I'd find good general information in resources for other types. For example, right now I'm rearranging my oil cooler mount, and I'm using parts and information from the RV crowd. Often the biggest stumbling blocks were of my own creation, either by deviating from the original design, or just thinking too much about a problem. I posted a building log as I went, as have others, and that may be a good way for you to see more about how the process goes.

One question to ask yourself is why you want to build. If you see building as a minor hurdle or inconvenience on the way to getting an airplane, then I think you'll be overwhelmed and disappointed by how much work and time it takes. In that case you'd be better off buying a flying airplane. If you see building as an opportunity for education and recreation, and as a hobby of its own, then it is easier to subsidize the cost of all of that time and effort with the benefits of knowledge, skill growth, and empowerment. Maybe by the time you are done you'll think of yourself as less of a direction follower! One of the challenges of creating very specific step-by-step instructions is the same as trying to create a very complete hardware and parts kit. If everyone was building exactly the same plane, those two tasks would be easy- but there tends to be a lot of variation in the competed Bearhawks, which means they each need slightly different parts and directions. This is one advantage to more general building directions- the builder is able to employ more individuality to the final configuration and fit/finish. There is no shortage of individuality and independence in the Bearhawk building community.

Comment

Building from the kit is far less work than building from scratch, but like Jared indicates it is still a lot of work. For me building was a form of relaxation. It was an end in itself. I think I purchased my kit in December of 2007 and finished it to the point of flying for the first time in October of 2014. I did work on and finish another plane during this time also so that time is not reflective of the time it takes to build the plane. So what did I get? I got the relaxation that I needed. I kept my hands busy and my mind occupied. I got the satisfaction of completing each of the component parts which intern motivated me to continue the project to completion. I have the completed aircraft to enjoy. I can make a change without filing reams of paper work with the FAA. I have the ability to maintain the plane to my own standards on my own time frame. I can invest money into the project this month or defer the expense if the budget does not permit such an investment this month. If it is a plane to fly only, don't begin the project as it will become an effort to motivate yourself to complete it. Don't begin if you feel that you can save money. You will have about the same money in your kit built project as you would have with a "similarly equipped" factory built plane. Having said that, one might be able to save some money by scratch building the whole thing but the effort level will be way up. Also I think the resale value of the kit built might be a little better. If you have examined the workmanship in the kits you will find that they are assemble without fault. For me the compromises favor the Bearhawk. Now if the weather will only clear I will go fly it, if not I can stay inside and work on my next plane.

Comment

Bobby, don't feel too intimidated by the process. I was a first time builder too, but there is so much information available that all your questions can easily be solved. Eric's manual is actually very complete, more than you realize and the Bearhawk is a pretty simple airplane. Get at it!

Comment

Awesome information and view points! Thank-you!

This is exactly what I was looking for. Based on talking with Mr. Goldberg and what you all have said here, I've pretty much decided to move forward with it. I've got 6 - 12 more months of saving to do before I can buy the kit so I'll use that time to learn everything I can about building.

Thanks again!
          Bobby Stokes
          Bobby Stokes
          4-Place Kit Builder
          Queen Creek, AZ

Comment

Hi Bobby,
            Sorry, I can't speak for QB but you've come to the right place.
            I think there about as many pilots who fly for SWA as there are residents of my town. But it's still worth asking - Do you happen to know Jeff Goin?
            Mark
            Mark
            Scratch building Patrol #275
            Hood River, OR

Comment

Hey Mark,

I've never actually met Jeff, but I've emailed with him a few times. I learned to fly Powered Paragliders a while back and he was very helpful in answering all my questions about that! He's the authority on all things PPG! Great guy! How do you know him?

Bobby
              Bobby Stokes
              4-Place Kit Builder
              Queen Creek, AZ

Comment

I think there are some kits out there that lend themselves to being detailed, step by step assembly, like the Rans S7. Some kits do a good job of defining the best and only way to route a particular fuel line or wire. The Bearhawk is like that in some places but it definitely leaves the door open for you to make your own way in others. This is a good and bad thing in my opinion. I've seen some beautiful finished products and then some not as good.

I'm one year into building my QB, and it took me a while to realize that and I was very concerned at times with the lack of clear instruction. I still am not a fan of the distributed and poorly organized documentation available. What is available is good, but it is somewhat disparate. AviPro provides some, Eric provides some, Bob provides some in the form of a collection of articles. I'm sorry but that's not a substitute for a unified professionally written build documentation. But, I understand that's a goliath project in itself and requires some investment.

That's really been my only complaint. On the other hand, it's caused me to change my outlook on the build, and rather than looking for the "right answer" I take it upon myself to come up with solutions that make sense, and I've been able to take a little more ownership of the project. Some things are just grey areas in my mind though, and until I see how another builder has done it I can't imagine how it goes together. I didn't know what I didn't know when I started, but it has gotten better. Definitely take Jared's questions under consideration.

This is a good community of information sharing and the best resources are the guys that have already forged the way. It's a pretty competent aircraft builder who can do one of these without being a little social.

Z

Comment

Thanks Z. That's a good honest answer as well. I appreciate that. I'm going to meet Scott Williamson in AZ to see his BH. That will give me time to pick his brain as to what his build process was like.

Bobby
                  Bobby Stokes
                  4-Place Kit Builder
                  Queen Creek, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by swpilot3 View Post
                    Hey Mark,

I've never actually met Jeff, but I've emailed with him a few times. I learned to fly Powered Paragliders a while back and he was very helpful in answering all my questions about that! He's the authority on all things PPG! Great guy! How do you know him?

Bobby
                    I know him through PPG as well. Never met him in person, but I agree he has contributed much to the sport. Do you still fly?
                    Mark
                    Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post

I know him through PPG as well. Never met him in person, but I agree he has contributed much to the sport. Do you still fly?
                      I sure do! I fly almost everyday I'm home. I thought it would satiate my need for low and slow flying... But it just made it worse! PPG ended up being even more fun than I thought it would be!
                      Bobby Stokes
                      4-Place Kit Builder
                      Queen Creek, AZ

Comment

Strangely my addiction with PPG wasn't the flying itself (cruising at 25mph at 0AGL is as low and slow as you can get) but that rush I got right after landing.

I get as much satisfaction from sanding out router machining marks from the large lightening hole of "nose rib 12-left" as I did chasing a coyote in a PPG. Those sunset PPG experiences were great but they didn't last and I have nothing to show for it except for a few jittery videos. In contrast, once you build it, it will stay built and your handiwork will stare you in the face (for better or worse) each time you step into the garage. It's motivating!

Even though I'm going the slow route, I have no regrets so far. I think if you start building - scratch or QB - you'll soon figure out how your skills and motivation fit into the picture.
                        Last edited by Chewie; 12-17-2014, 06:15 PM.
                        Mark
                        Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
                          Strangely my addiction with PPG wasn't the flying itself (cruising at 25mph at 0AGL is as low and slow as you can get) but that rush I got right after landing.

I get as much satisfaction from sanding out router machining marks from the large lightening hole of "nose rib 12-left" as I did chasing a coyote in a PPG. Those sunset PPG experiences were great but they didn't last and I have nothing to show for it except for a few jittery videos. In contrast, once you build it, it will stay built and your handiwork will stare you in the face (for better or worse) each time you step into the garage. It's motivating!

Even though I'm going the slow route, I have no regrets so far. I think if you start building - scratch or QB - you'll soon figure out how your skills and motivation fit into the picture.
                          That's a very cool perspective! You're right about the PPG experience, cool as it may be, it is fleeting. The more I consider building the BH, the more I like the idea for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm actually having to fight the urge to get started too early. I still need to finish preparing my garage and finish getting my finances in place. I'm excited to get started!

​How far a long are you with your scratch build?
                          Bobby Stokes
                          4-Place Kit Builder
                          Queen Creek, AZ

Comment

I'm on center wing ribs and MDF forms (tooling). Total about 8 months, including time to get the garage functional. I work full time and have a 1 year old so I try to get in a little every night, more on the weekends. Good plan to get the $'s in order first rather than after!
                            Mark
                            Hood River, OR

Comment

That's awesome Mark! Good luck on your build. You'll probably have yours up to the equivalent of a QB by the time I start! :-)
                              Bobby Stokes
                              4-Place Kit Builder
                              Queen Creek, AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X