Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member looking at bearhawk lsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member looking at bearhawk lsa

Hello everyone. I am a mid 30s millwright and aspiring pilot. I have been looking at different build plans for the past year or so. After many hours of reading on forums and different individuals build sites I believe the Bearhawk lsa is the plane I would like to build. My question is what is the feasibility of this project for a first time builder? I woul be building from scratch. I have tig, mig, and gas welding rigs and am proficient with all 3. I also have full size sheet metal shear and break. Drill press sanders grinders etc. I have a few local pilot/builders that would be willing to mentor me but none experienced with a bearhawk build. Should I start with a more simple design for my first buil or is the lsa suitable for a first time builder with extensive fabrication experience albeit not aircraft fabrication? Thanks Will Vaughan

Sounds like you are better prepared to build than most first time builders, so I would say "go for it." Patience and perseverance along with some common sense are the key ingredients. With your tools and your profession, seems like you fit the bill.

Comment

One of my concerns was bending the tubing. I sold my tubing bender after my last roll cage build. After reading through Eric Newtons bearhawk/patrol build manual I see that tubing benders like I'm used to are not necessary for building. Thanks Will Vaughan

Comment

My advice is this.... If you REALLY like creating something from nothing, if you enjoy building things, figuring out endless problems, and in no hurry to fly I say go for it. I enjoy the scratch process no question and will be one of the few that built an airplane from plans but honestly it sucks seeing how fast a friend is progressing on his RV-7. What I'm saying is its a long haul, make damn sure you are willing to commit 100%
        Dave Bottita The Desert Bearhawk
        Project Plans #1299
        N1208 reserved www.facebook.com/desertbearhawk/

Comment

Thanks Dave for the practical advice. I have been considering this undertaking for a little over a year now. I am the kind of person who does truly enjoy building something from nothing. I expect this to be a 3 year project that will take at least 40k to complete. I will be building with my dad who just recently retired and my 3 boys 11, 15, and 21. ( older 2 step sons). If my time frame and budget seem seriously erroneous please set me straight. Thanks Will Vaughan

Comment

Will,
            The budget is reasonable. If Dad and boys are interested, the time frame is doable - especially so if they're committed. What a great family project!!! Where are you located?

Mark J

Comment

Hi Mark. I'm a bit north of Jackson Ms. Dad is showing a keen interest in the idea of a project like this. He has been building fine furniture as a hobby for years. His experience with detailed plans and intricate projects will add a lot to this one I believe. Thanks W Vaughan

Comment

Will, go for it! I started a scratch build Patrol Dec 2013 and I am having a great time. However, what Dave says is true, it is very time consuming and frustrating at times, but the end result will be worth it. As for the tubing, I found a company that cnc bends and notches the entire thing. They ship to your door and will save hours of work! Good luck!
                Barry Cole plans building serial #265 Patrol

Comment

Welcome Will! It sounds like you are off to a great start. You'll probably find that the airplane materials are lighter and thinner than what you are used to, but airplane building is all about education and recreation, which means expanding skills and experience even more. I grew up in MS and still get back to visit every now and then.

Comment

Working...
                  X