Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flap and Aileron Hinge Pocket Cover Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flap and Aileron Hinge Pocket Cover Plates

I was looking to install the Flap and Aileron Hinge Pocket Cover Plates on my aircraft and was wondering how effective they are in reducing drag. On the flaps it looks like they may help a little on the top but on the bottom of the flap and the ailerons they would have to be so short in order to not contact with the hinges I can see as they would be of much help.
    LynnR
    BH 656

If you try it out, let us know Lynn! Also, be aware that Bob just recently changed the design to shorten the top flap covers so that they only cover the pocket when the flaps are up.

Comment

I was hoping someone else had done that so I would not have to.
      LynnR
      BH 656

Comment

If nothing else they sure make the plane look a lot nicer - you can make them long and include cut-outs for the hinge brackets.

Comment

I've spent the morning making pocket covers for the right aileron and flap (pictures below) following the updated instructions. By following the instructions it does make the aileron covers a little more complicated, and possibly more chance of fitment issues, albeit that the ailerons aren't dealing with the same pressure extremes that the flap covers are dealing with.

In practice I notice there's a variety of ways that builders are making them and some not fitting any covers, so I wanted to push this thread to the top and get some more feedback on what people are doing, and if there have been any further issues. The advantages/disadvantages, if any.

Basically I'm deliberating between the longer slotted aileron covers that wrap around aileron nose, and some shorter, easy to fit covers.

Thoughts appreciated.

394F90AB-CA4D-4C1A-BAE7-A9C2C0F4F51F.jpeg

EF802EE0-CE95-438C-93FE-7DDA35A6C772.jpeg
          Below is the lower aileron cover, with a slot cut to clear the rod arm and hinge. You can see how it wraps around the nose. If I were to shorten the cover it wouldn't need any slot, and wouldn't wrap around.

FAC881BE-F12A-4791-823C-34F09EB4E76D.jpeg
          This shows the top aileron cover with the aileron extended beyond 17°. The gap would normally be about half this size at full downward deflection.

370795C1-B836-4F63-BBCA-DA295EA2ACA5.jpeg
          Below shows the aileron top pocket cover with the aileron in a neutral position.

D2C8DB68-FE3C-48E6-9F38-127FA987FB87.jpeg
          Last edited by Nev; 09-25-2021, 11:04 PM.
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
          YouTube - Build and flying channel
          Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

You want to limit as much as possible having the forward edge of the covers extending past the wing trailing edge at full extension to reduce the chance of them catching on the wing trailing edge. The longer covers with a break or bend in them helps with that. There are a variety of ways to do it but keep this issue in mind. I've always made the longer wrap around type and placed the rivets or screws so there is no chance they will contact the trailing edge.

Comment

Do the newest version of the QB wings require this fabrication?
              N678C
              https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
              Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• N942VT
                N942VT commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep they do

• Utah-Jay
                Utah-Jay commented
                Editing a comment
                Fantastic, I THINK I can put legos together, but I doubt my abilities to fabricate stuff

• Utah-Jay
                Utah-Jay commented
                Editing a comment
                Does anyone have a template for this stuff?

There are different ways to make these as Dave said. Nothing is critical except not allowing them to bind up movement of the ailerons or flaps. Carefully positioning fasteners (screws or pop rivets) so the head of the fastener will not catch on the wing skin trailing edge is good. All in all easy parts to make. Making poster board patterns to trial fit is a good, easy way to approach it. Mark

Comment

Utah-Jay https://bearhawk.tips/737

Comment

• Nev
                  Nev commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jared, I'm not sure if there's a link to this in a menu ? I found it when typing in a search for ailerons on another matter.

• jaredyates
                  jaredyates commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Nev, I have added a bubble on the map.

Question about fasteners for the bottom aileron cover plates. Does the nose of the aileron hinge bottom covers need fasteners (where my finger is pointing)? They seem to be just fine with the four screws on the bottom. Asking for a friend.

20230909_120224.jpg

Comment

I did install the extra screws on mine but that was probably overkill. There can be minimal gap in that area, so it's an area I check thoroughly on the preflight for obvious reasons.

You would be able to see these while inflight during testing, and note if they move at all with pressure changes.

I first flew with all the covers removed, then installed later in the test phase. For reference and to answer the OP question, I wasn't able to note any change in airspeed. As Battson mentions above, they do look nicer !
                  Last edited by Nev; 09-10-2023, 02:39 PM.
                  Nev Bailey
                  Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
                  YouTube - Build and flying channel
                  Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Working...
                  X