Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which LocTite to use on removable screws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which LocTite to use on removable screws?

Hi everyone,

I'm finding that as I route ribs, the vibration causes the screws holding the router to the router plate to slowly back out. What is the appropriate LocTite to use on them since I need to be able to remove the router from the table to use as a regular handheld router as well?

I appreciate your guidance!

~Chris
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

I usually use Blue on bolts I want to get back out.
    Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Loctite 242 Medium Strength Threadlocker, just a little dab will do ya.

Bonus info: If you're having trouble due to access, fastener head deformation, etc. in removal, a little heat loosens it (and most Loctite products). Some Loctite products will require more heat. Remember screws are cheap, always replace when heads begin to deform, keep screwdriver tips in good condition.
      Last edited by marcusofcotton; 02-07-2016, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Blue, which is medium. Do not use red unless you want to use heat to remove bolts. Also, beware that loktite destroys certain plastics.

Last edited by Blackrock; 02-07-2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

The newer formulation of 243 blue is excellent. But I'd be hesitant using loctite on a permanent part like the tapped router base that's hard to clean out. I had no loosening if i checked torque before each use.
          Mark
          Scratch building Patrol #275
          Hood River, OR

Comment

Thanks all. I think Chewie's suggestion is probably the best. I'll check the screw tightness each time I use it instead of potentially gooping up the router base threads. It sounds like LocTite is a pretty sticky substance meant for things that aren't removed often. Having to heat up the aluminum on a "modern" import tool to remove a screw is probably less than ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Christopher Owens

Comment

Hit the threads lightly with a chisel lengthwise to 'bugger' them up a little, Dad's trick. The tolerances on some import tools is not very good.

Comment

Nice idea!
                Christopher Owens

Comment

Originally posted by N942VT View Post
                  Hit the threads lightly with a chisel lengthwise to 'bugger' them up a little, Dad's trick. The tolerances on some import tools is not very good.
                  Here I respectfully disagree, willingly damaging the threads. Tends to damage the other end as well. Loctite medium threadlocker is cheap, designed for the job and you should have it for other locations anyway. I've seen too much damage with that technique.

Comment

I have to agree with marcusofcotton on this one... Intentionally damaging the threads creates a stress point that could cause failure of the bolt. On your lawnmower? No big deal. On your airplane, especially for something "important"? Loctite is cheap, readily available, and should create no issues.
                    Jim Parker
                    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
                    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Since this is on your router plate, there should also be room for self-locking nuts, if you exchange the screws for longer ones. More of a PITA though. I would use blue Loctite.

The chisel trick works good for more permanent installations, as does peening the end over, but I would not use either on screws that need to be removed frequently. It tends to chew out the threads even more.

Comment

I can do that on two of the screws, but the third is inaccessible. I'm nearly done routing out the ribs, so I'll just test the screws' tightness before I run each batch, and call it good. I just happened to notice it after one batch of ribs one day last week.

It's good to know, though, that Blue LocTite is the right stuff for the job, though.

Thanks for the the advice!
                        Christopher Owens

Comment

Chris --

This is somewhat related: I'm curious if your router is a Makita. Mine uses four flat-head screws and I can't for the life of me identify the threads. They're somewhere between an M6-1 and 1/4-20. Perhaps Makita has proprietary threads... if I lose one of those screws I'd have to retap the router.
                          Mark
                          Scratch building Patrol #275
                          Hood River, OR

Comment

Mine is a Bosch. I put in M4x1. Proprietary thread? How bizarre!

My Freud had four big ol' chunks of a screw.
                            Christopher Owens

Comment

Originally posted by JimParker256 View Post
                              I have to agree with marcusofcotton on this one... Intentionally damaging the threads creates a stress point that could cause failure of the bolt. On your lawnmower? No big deal. On your airplane, especially for something "important"? Loctite is cheap, readily available, and should create no issues.
                              It's a router dude , not much chance of falling out of the sky. I didn't, nor would ever, suggest this on an airplane. And if we're talking about airplanes, Loctite doesn't have much place there anyway, that's what nut plates and lock nuts are made for.

Comment

• JimParker256
                                JimParker256 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Oops! I read this right after reading another post, and lost track of the original discussion. Sorry! Makes a whole lot more sense now!
                            Working...
                            X