Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One shouldn't use a 20-ton jack with a 12-ton press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One shouldn't use a 20-ton jack with a 12-ton press

Just sayin'. It doesn't care for it much.

I took it apart, removing the bent parts, and squished a few in a makeshift configuration.

It's heavy as heck moving things back and forth, disassembling, reassembling... But it does an admirable job, I must say.

That little frame isn't going to take much more, though. The signs of stress and strain are there. Off to Harbor Freight tomorrow. Again. For a 20-ton press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

amazing the forces. To make it easier to lift the metal plate. I put some 1/4" threaded rod down so that the plate lifted up with the jack. Made the movement easier,
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

That's my plan when I pick up the new press this afternoon. I need to make it easy to flip the plate over. I saw that you're using 3/4" or 1" plate. I think mine is 1/2" or maybe 5/8". It's showing signs of bending under pressure. I flipped it over once during pressing with the larger jack. May have to weld some stiffeners on it, similar to the one seen in the EAA video you referenced.
      Christopher Owens

Comment

Now we're seriously in business :-)

Big mean, squishing machine.

Christopher Owens

Comment

Following John's lead, I suspended the plate with some 5/16" x 6" carriage bolts and nuts to hold them to the plate. Carriage bolts are great because the won't chew up the rubber mat. Because I only have 1/2" plates, and they were showing signs of bending, I placed one of the arbor plates that came with the press between the piston and the plate. Hopefully this will spread out the forces and keep things a bit more even. The bolts went through the bar and were joined to a pair of 2" eye bolts with a rod-coupling nut, making a perfect-height assembly. Lastly, I drilled the hydraulic jack base and bolted it to the press mounting plate, lest the thing become a 70-pound missile under 20 tons of pressure should something slip.

Now it's time to get back to work!

Christopher Owens

Comment

I see the 20 ton is on sale at harbor freight next week for $129.99 (if I remember correctly). Is it worth picking one up over a smaller unit?
            Steve Nicholson
            Lafayette, LA

4 Place Scratch build #1377 in progress (Wings)

Comment

Absolutely! If you're going to press ribs, go straight for the 20-ton. Figures it would go on sale more after I bought it! Currently "on sale" for $199.00
              Christopher Owens

Comment

Working...
              X