Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flap pop rivets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flap pop rivets

I have rivets from Wicks that are not cherry n as suggested by Eric in his book.

They are AD41ABS. 5052 aluminum, dome head, aluminium mandrel, open end.

Not knowing anything about pop rivets, I'd like to know if these are acceptable or horribly unsuitable?

Thanks in advance.

I couldn't find AD41ABS rivets in the Aircraft Spruce catalog page 91, but the AD41BS rivet crosses over to the Cherry N BSP-41 rivet. I used the commercial "pop" rivet equivalent from my local hardware store, they were even painted white for use on siding. They had a similar part number to the ones you have. There are a few places you will need stainless pop rivets, I also got those from my local hardware store. I think you will be fine.
    Joe
    Scratch-building 4-place #1231
    Almost Wyoming region of Nebraska

Comment

For the popped rivets, I just used whatever came from Bunnings. It worked out fine.

The only ones I would worry about are the ones at the trailing edge, which are small and take quite a lot of force. I used steel rivets there.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post
        For the popped rivets, I just used whatever came from Bunnings. It worked out fine.

The only ones I would worry about are the ones at the trailing edge, which are small and take quite a lot of force. I used steel rivets there.
        When you say steel rivets, are they still pop rivets or did you use the ones you have to buck?

Comment

Originally posted by corefile View Post
          When you say steel rivets, are they still pop rivets or did you use the ones you have to buck?
          They were popped rivets, which are made of stainless steel. I don't have the P/N handy sorry.

Comment

Working...
          X