Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Zealand flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand flying

Hello everyone from the South Island of New Zealand. My wife and I are touristing around down here. I wanted to post about 3 flights I took while here. The first was my first helocopter flight that a friend arranged in a Hughes 300C for a look around Christchurch. Very different feeling in one of those whirlybirds. Quite interesting and fun. Lots of earthquake damage still visible.

The next two flights were nothing short of spectacular. Jonathon Battson took us up Iin the southern Alps mountains in his BH.I have never done this kind of flying. I imagine Idaho is similar. We flew over the tops toward the coast and then back to Wanaka in the valleys and through some passes. Beautiful. Incredible.

The next day Patrol builder Graeme Prankerd met us at airport for a flight in his C180 with O520. It was a strong performing machine. We flew into the mountains and landed 4 or 5 times at little short rough strips that hunters use. We even saw Jonathon on a river gravel bank fly fishing. At times it felt you could reach out the window and tough the glaciers. For this flatlander from Texas, it some of the most exciting flying I have ever done. Both Jonathon and Graeme are extremely competent pilots very familiar with the area. So I was able to relax and not crap in my pants. Unfortunstely I did not take many pics. But will post some when we return. Mark

Sounds like a great trip Mark! Bucket list for me, but I'd be down there fly fishing with Battson. Safe travels.

Comment

Wow, I bet that was fun! Glad you guys are having a great trip.
      Steve Busby
      www.aeroliteflight.ca

Comment

I'm so jealous, but very happy for you! I always wanted to visit New Zealand and Australia. If I ever make it there, I hope I get to see some of the "back country" and not just the cities... Sounds like an AMAZING trip!
        Jim Parker
        Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
        RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Thanks for the update Mark. That would be a great experience and is a bucket list item for me also. Can't wait to see the photos when you return. Great stuff!

Comment

Sounds like a Great trip Mark, I'm jealous as well! Can't wait to hear more about the trip and see your pics. Hopefully I will e able to scratch this of my bucket list in 2017 or 18.
            Have a safe trip home!

Comment

Working...
            X