Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seat Upholstery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Upholstery

We just got the seats back from the upholsterer. Thought I would pass along the pics. And yes.... that is a P-40 radiator lower cowl in the right of the picture with the rear seat. Brent makes P-40 parts too!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Brent might know a friend of mine. John Fallis is fond of P-40's.

Bill

Comment

Those look really good, Eric. They also shook the dust loose in my head and made me think of the upholstery project MarkG was pursuing.

MarkG, did you ever get anywhere with that upholstery company on drop in Bearhawk seats and upholstery?

-------------------
      Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
      Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
      RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Bdflies View Post

Bill
        I don't know, would have to ask him. He has LOTS of folks he knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Bdflies View Post

Bill
          Brent says yes, he has done some trading and swapping of parts with him.

Comment

A local upholsterer suggested that there should be a gap at the bottom of the rear seat back to loop fabric under, I guess to hold the seat-back down. You can see in the photo that I’ve run .025 aluminium to the lower rail and riveted it in place. Certainly not to late to change.

Does anyone have pics of how theirs was done ? Was the gap necessary to hold the back cushion or are there other ways to do this ?

He also mentioned that running fabric under the same place on the front folding seats would be a high wear point. Thoughts appreciated.

20CF8B88-A28F-4EE8-988E-3A0220E32CF1.jpeg
            Nev Bailey
            Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
            YouTube - Build and flying channel
            Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Battson
              Battson commented
              Editing a comment
              Our guy needed a little gap at the front, fabric wraps right around at the back. I think the above would work with removeable squabs.

Personally, I reckon alloy will make for hard seats! As you've seen, we have fabric webbing straps and they do deform quite a lot.

Two KitPlane articles from March and April 2010 has step by step instructions that I kind of am using to make my cushions. (Kitplane subscribers can assess those back issues on line) I believe a very attractive seat cushion canoe made by a novice using these directions. During the holidays, (Thanksgiving and Christmas) I am blessed to have my grown children home. No one hangs out in the workshop, so maybe an Upholstery project in the house is in order.

I tried some naugahyde seat cover and didn't like the appearance. I will deviate on attempt #2, and use Shearling Sheepskin for the main panels. Am I over my head? If I fail using a sewing machine, I think I can make it work hand sewing.

In Post #1, the photo shows the seat back was fabricated with a cushion then an envelop that slides over the seat frame. So, I think that combo could be secured and avoid the use of a cross bar somehow on the seat back.

The foam cushions.....I'm about 160 pounds. I fabricated and tested numerous foam cushion combinations that will attach to the A/C fabric covered seat frame like Bob shows in the Patrol Book. I experimented with some memory foam and have no use for soft or medium soft memory foam. A one inch thick piece of "Medium" memory foam for the seat bottom and back with additional added for a lumbar resulted in a seat I sat in for +1 hr with no pain. That is my standard....no back pain.

Back pain within 15 minutes resulted when I used the softer foam and different combinations of the soft/medium soft. (Like 1" soft over 1" medium) . I believe that a single 1" thick piece of foam will result in a light weight and comfortable upholstery project.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• coosbo
              coosbo commented
              Editing a comment
              Appreciate the tips and Kitplanes reference, Brooks. For anyone that might go dig up the 2010 Kitplane issues, I think he meant April and May, or maybe May and June. It's a nice 3 piece article running April through June anyways.
              Last edited by coosbo; 12-24-2020, 09:42 AM.

• Bcone1381
              Bcone1381 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thats correct, its April and May 2010.

Hey what do you all think about buying a racing car seat or something similar for a tandem like an LSA or a Patrol?

Comment

I don't have any experience trying to make a comfortable airplane seat. I did buy the recommended 3 ply foam seat bottoms from ACS. If figure my front seats are a work in progress, and very experimental. To start, and probably for at least 6-12 months, my front seat upholstery is a pair of 20 dollar seat covers (for the pair) from Costco. After I like them a lot, I will either pay someone to upholster them, or more than likely buy another really heavy duty sewing machine and do it myself. That gives me another excuse to buy another sewing machine. I sold the last one.

I have propped up the kit seat, put the 3 ply cushion on it, and sat in it for a couple of hours at my desk in the shop. It did seem comfortable. I guess I need to work on the back and lumbar support, but I don't think it will mean anything until I am sitting in an actual airplane.

I have sat in airline cockpit seats covered in sheepskin. Wow, that stuff breaths well, and is comfortable, for many hours on end.

Last edited by svyolo; 12-24-2020, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• Nev
                Nev commented
                Editing a comment
                Never thought I’d see “airline cockpit seats” and “comfortable” in the same sentence

• svyolo
                svyolo commented
                Editing a comment
                I said the sheepskin was comfortable. LOL. I may end up with sheepskin covers over the upholstery so I can change them out.

I discovered this business was very pleased with the result for sourcing the sheep skin. A good keyword to use when looking is "Shearling".
              Visit Our Website To See Our Complete Inventory Of Shearling Sheepskins, Sheepskin Leather Hides/Pelts, Tuscan Lambskin, Tibetan/Mongolian Lamb Fur Skins, Huge selection, Dyed & Natural Colors For Sale At Glacier Wear Fine Furs & Leather.
              Brooks Cone
              Southeast Michigan
              Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
              X