Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attaching Horizontal Stabilizer Fairings without nutplates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching Horizontal Stabilizer Fairings without nutplates

I forgot to install nutplates for attaching the fairings, does anyone have suggestions on how I can attach the fairings without nutplates?

Since you don’t have to remove and replace every year you might consider no 4 pk screws or no 6 rivnuts which would not be my choice

Comment

Do you have wood formers for the profiled tail or is it steel that you would be putting screws into?
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Different strokes... You might try this. I have been doing this for years, it works!. Stinger
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Collin Campbell
          Collin Campbell commented
          Editing a comment
          Very slick! Love it!

• haribole
          haribole commented
          Editing a comment
          wow! this is so elegant and neat! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Hari :
        In Aircraft spruce---- (somewhere) they sell a steel gizmo that looks like an Adel clamp except its made for structurally mounting
        things to the fuse. tubing. perhaps that could go on the tubing and under the cover. What you need is something like a 1/4 inch
        bolt that is hollow and tapped #10 in the center. The outer 1/4 inch part would compress the clamp and the inner part holds the
        SS #10 button head bolt which goes through the skin. maybe someone else could tell us if a special hollow bolt like that exists....
        (or you could make them I guess......)
        I think these clamps are in the same section as the steel tubing in spruce.

another way would be to put your nutplate on the inside of the cover but on the back of the opposite side. Use some kind of spacer that
        would bring the nutplate up against the underside of the other face. maybe the spacer could be made from a piece of bent up .032 and that could
        be used to straddle the cross tubes to help keep the sheet in position laterally.

I havnt gotten to that part yet - so those ideas might just be crap----- :-)

Tim

Comment

• haribole
          haribole commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Tim, I was looking for something similar to what you describe, and asked the local fastenal dealer. Picture is attached. Got a response that these are called barrel bolts.

We used the PK screws. They hold tight and if one wears loose then we can go up a size.
        Glenn

Comment

• Glenn Patterson
          Glenn Patterson commented
          Editing a comment
          I should add that we bought a mix of lengths as we have the wood streamline strips.

Originally posted by whee View Post
        Do you have wood formers for the profiled tail or is it steel that you would be putting screws into?
        no wood formers, just the steel tube

Comment

Barrel bolt:

Attached Files

Comment

In the news letters Bob talks about attaching the door skins with machine screws after drilling/threading the 0.035" door tubes. You may be able to employ this method by drilling/threading the inboard 0.032 C-channel for #6 screws.

I like Stingers idea!
            Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

I have all ways hated any kind of sheet metal screw in an aircraft application. Seems like they all ways get loose over time. I know they
              are used from several factory aircraft brands.....
              Better for the roof on the carport I say ----- than my plane.....

My version of the barrel bolt is threaded on both inside and outside. Could quite tell if fastenels is threaded on outside.
              If you dont need many--- you could just put some 1/4 inch stainless large area heads in the lathe and bore and tapp them for #10
              on the inside .....

Tim

Comment

Working...
              X