Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel lines

How I installed my fuel lines, specifically the rear vertical lines, instead of running them in the rear passenger door sill, I did mine on the opposite side with a trim to cover them. 8CCBE0EF-1B8A-4D4F-8627-A4A539924714.jpegB223A815-CFAB-4C09-8709-12D7C0664785.jpeg7AAD6E81-6AC5-4497-98BA-32EB68CFAEC1.jpeg
    Attached Files

F9F5477E-47F4-452F-889D-307F2882F079.jpegBAA32B57-6358-47A4-898E-93DBA0A4ABCB.jpeg Interior panels test fitted, made opening to allow fuel line to pass through.
    Attached Files

Comment

Please tell more about your interior panels. What material is it? Did you make them your self or were they manufactured? Thanks, David

Comment

Hi David, I made all myself, I used 032 aluminum panels, cut 2,5 inch lightening holes in them, as many as possible, but spaced so that when flanged the give strength and stiffen them up. Then we did all the stitching, Canvas outer. 1/4 inch foam and a linen backing, all stitched together I glued them to the aluminum. I am waiting for the flame block, will soak them properly before final installation. Here are some more photos. 48016A24-548F-49FC-B629-2B1F76ACF9B3.jpegB6363E7B-04C8-4358-A7C8-1BC6164055CE.jpegE7F0E2D6-9618-43EE-B37E-90BD1696DD98.pngC9A12D99-CFD4-406B-B871-2B6F8D4B5B1A.pngE4328F5C-82B8-43FF-A55D-06983C972268.jpeg4B44EA01-C6CA-49D6-AA7B-18278D3C4493.png

Comment

• davzLSA
          davzLSA commented
          Editing a comment
          That really looks good, I have seen similar interior panels in military aircraft. You did a really professional job. Do you know what the weight penalty is going to be? I think Im just going to forgo the interior. I may regret it later but my LSA is probably going to be heavy anyway. Im not going out of my way to make it super light, I figure I can afford to do that because I will probably be the only one flying in it . I also like the way you did your fuel lines, it gives me some ideas for my install.
          Last edited by davzLSA; 04-11-2021, 05:58 PM.

• Gerhard Rieger
          Gerhard Rieger commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the weight somewhere, I will find it.

Gerhard;
        That looks to be an interesting iteration of a header tank. I never considered making one like that. Any other information of how you came up with it?

Comment

• Gerhard Rieger
          Gerhard Rieger commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, I looked at many different tanks, I then looked at where I can put mine and have more than 2 gal, this one is approximately 2,2 or 2,3 USG. To keep it filling Quickly I added two vent tubes of 1/2 inch and it will also take any air bubbles in the fuel back to the top of the main tanks, one side vent to the left main and is in the rear of the header tank, the other one to the right tank and is on the front of the header tank. This way I will always have a vent high to take out any air bubbles no matter what the aircrafts attitude is. Two vents will always give you one if somehow the one tank or pop gets blocked. My main and aux tanks are also connected with vents to give me extra insurance of not having good fuel flow because of vent problems. I am running a IO 540 and do not want to worry if I side slip with low fuel that I might un port a tank/ fuel outlet and have it quit on me at low level on short finals. I am also planing a red flag connected between the fuel selector and the throttle to make sure that fuel is either left or right, open. That header tank might get you airborne and run out at low level if the fuel is closed. I am also a firm believer in a proper check list, if followed to the letter nobody will have a fuel valve in the off position on take off.

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the write up. I had never thought of the possibility of taking off with the fuel selector "off", but that is definitely a threat with a header tank.

For now I ended up with a small tank under the right front seat, and the EFI fuel pumps are low on the firewall with a heat shield protecting them from heat (with a blast tube). I noticed a lot of Rotax efi and Viking installations putting the pumps north of the firewall, which I think I prefer as long as I can keep them cool.

Here is a example of a Maule, I also prefer most in the engin compartment, but heat is a problem. I plan to do my exhaust like a Cessna 180, single pipe much more forward than a Bearhawk. Place some photos of your header tank, there is always something new to learn. 6087CC48-963F-4B97-83A0-285153BA0615.png5E648AEE-B61D-4F38-B865-28C6CAA261E8.png

Comment

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          I posted it in a different thread that I will try to resurrect. The LSA crowd showed me what I actually wanted to do anyway - get the pressurized fuel out of the cockpit. I originally mounted my pumps under the front seat as well. The pumps are just above the tunnel. I will have a heat shield/exhaust exit ramp that protects the pumps from radiant heat, and a light cover and small blast tube to keep the heat off of the pumps. I saw a pic of one on an RV, they did it for cooling drag/effectiveness, but it will also block heat.

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the pics. I never saw a Maules' fuel system, and I think your solution is very elegant.

Thanks, my fuel is between the header tank and the engin so that the tank is not pressurised. Thanks for the share and I will look for your post.

Comment

• rodsmith
          rodsmith commented
          Editing a comment
          Is the Maule header tank standard on fuel injected Maules?

Hi Rod, I do not know, did not go into it further, it was just interesting to see how it was done.

Comment

Here is a pic that is a little old. The pumps are not longer there. The tank is a commercially available unit called a "surge" tank, used for the exact same purposes I am using it for( but for race cars and boats), and the ports installed are in the perfect place, including a couple of extras. There is a port at the bottom which is perfect for sampling/draining water. There is another style called a "swirl" pot, and the the reason it is called that is that the fuel is intentionally swirled, and then baffled to stop the swirl and force out the bubbles etc. Never heard of it but it sounded good, especially for race cars and boats hitting G's from every direction.

I would have preferred a larger tank, but commercially available ones were 1.5 to 3 liters/quarts. A year or two later, my TIg welding is probably good enough to make a custom one that is as big as I want. Unless I find myself with extra down time, I will probably fly with what is installed, because it is installed, plumbed, and I think it will work just fine.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
          X