Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

customer survey sort of - or request for suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Mark thanks for soliciting suggestions. Having the wings ready to mate to the fuselage would be a nice step forward although I believe you are already doing that on your most current kits. I am about to tackle that and can guess it will be a real time sink to get it right on the money.

Based on the number of questions I have seen posted over the last few years on the Patrol I think it would be nice if Bob or yourself could revisit those design items that crop up a lot. Here is my list.

I have just finished building one wing and was surprised that I had to move holes in the ribs for the aileron cables to pass through without hitting metal. I would think by this point those hole locations would be fine tuned so the cables align well. I ended up creating doublers at a number of locations and elongated slots as one gets closer to the aileron bellcrank. These could easily be done by the factory so no fiddling is required to guestimate where the control cable is going to land.

Just about everyone mentions having to bend the arms of the fuselage mounted elevator idler arm to get the necessary inside clearance. It would be nice if this part could be redesigned so this step is unnecessary. An internal width of .750" is perfect. Why furnish a welded part and then tell people they really need to modify it to make it work?

The stick torque tube could really stand to be upped in diameter, the clearance inside is a bear to get the hardware to clear.

Overall I am quite pleased with the kit and think it is a good value for the money. Thanks for your support Mark. As I build, I have taken the time to create complete isometric assembly drawings for the Patrol which show all the required hardware. It takes a lot of time but I find this an invaluable reference when I take something apart and avoid having to figure out what the correct bolt length is again. I could build my next Patrol in 1/3 the time!! I do drool in envy when I reference the assembly drawings from VANS which they provide for any airplane for $10 on a jump drive. I would think a set of detailed assembly drawings would save you a lot of support time and everyone who builds a lot of head scratching.
    Last edited by spinningwrench; 01-06-2022, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• Sir Newton
      Sir Newton commented
      Editing a comment
      Good Morning, After reading this thread. Bring a scratch builder myself, the kit is a great value at a low price point. imho

Scratch building my Bearhawk four place for the past eleven years and four months and about another six months to go, made me to see the ease of building the quick build that Mark’s factory produce. Its a walk in the park in comparison to manufacturing every part yourself. Then do it thousands of miles away from aircraft spruce and other suppliers. The help that I received from him even though I was not a direct customer. If I do it again, it will be a quick build from Mark.

Comment

Mark, having just built a B model 4 place QB my comments are. Great kit, great quality of product, outstanding customer service by yourself. I always appreciated the speedy responses and your cheerful demeanour. For things that could be improved. Being thousands of miles from parts supplies an accurate and comprehensive hardware kit. Also a firewall forward kit. Not sure if those things are possible due to differences in builds but maybe some options? Engines, oh boy! If anyone wants freshly overhauled boat anchor let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by spinningwrench View Post
        Just about everyone mentions having to bend the arms of the fuselage mounted elevator swing arm to get the necessary inside clearance. It would be nice if this part could be redesigned so this step is unnecessary. An internal width of .750" is perfect. Why furnish a welded part and then tell people they really need to modify it to make it work?
        What do you mean the fuselage mounted elevator sing arm? Are you talking about the elevator lift struts? Or the front or rear carry though? I can't place what part you are talking about.

Comment

• robcaldwell
          robcaldwell commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't understand this either. I didn't find myself needing to "bend" anything in the tail section. "Swing arm"? Is this Patrol related?

This is the new idler arm I built for the Patrol with the required inside clearance.

2CA8A372-70E2-4FBF-843D-B8CBBB66C792.jpg
        Last edited by spinningwrench; 01-06-2022, 08:09 PM.

Comment

This is the “idler arm “ half way back that carry’s the two elevator push rods.

Comment

That's gotta be something patrol specific because there isn't anything like that on my 4 place.

Comment

• spinningwrench
              spinningwrench commented
              Editing a comment
              It is specific to the tandem seat airplanes.
          Working...
          X