Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

December 2018 Manual Update, Request for Input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 2018 Manual Update, Request for Input

For the last little while I've been working with Mark to go through the old manual (the 5-part PDF) for the 4-Place. Some of the info there has become outdated, either because the kits have changed, or folks have come up with more streamlined ways to do things. There have also been opportunities to clarify some of the old entries, and occasionally update the philosophy and style. We have added new entries based on Mark's "frequently received questions" and will continue to add more new sections as they are requested.

If you are building from a quick-build kit and have not yet been using the updated manual, please sign up here:

There is not an automated process to approve your request, so the delay length varies depending on what I'm doing that day. It is a little inconvenient getting started, but you'll only have to do this once. There is a purchase option for builders who are not building a quick-build kit (scratch builders, builders who purchase rib and spar kits, basic fuselages, etc) but don't pay any money if you are building from a quick-build kit.

This is the URL for the section once you are authorized:

The manual is not structured like the old one, in a giant pdf file that you would read front to back. Why is this? The short answer is that this effort started from the ground up with the goal of making the best builder experience available, both now and for years to come. Instead of the single big file, each manual topic is built in its own entry, more or less. Builders can add comments at the bottom of entries, and we can very readily change entries as feedback dictates. If something that is a short paragraph now needs to become 5 pages with 100 photos later, there is no restraint from making it that way, as there would be if everything was tightly nestled into a single document. If you have connectivity in your workshop, you can use something like an ipad to access the content live right in your shop, and not have to print out lots of pages. If not, each entry is still downloadable as its own pdf that you can save for offline use, or if you really want to, print. Because the content is dynamic, odds are good that if you printed the whole manual on day 1, there would be updates to some of the later steps by the time you got to them. The intent is that the builder will access the relevant content shortly before completing that particular step. This method also allows better crossover between the three types. For example, there is an entry about assembling shock struts, and that same entry will be presented to 4-Place, Patrol, and LSA builders. If an LSA builder suggests and improvement, it will be visible across all three types. In some areas the entries are separate, but because of the way Bob designs things, there is a lot of overlap, and using this database-driven method helps keep things tidy and more mutually beneficial.

Bearhawk.tips is also the website where all of the archived Beartracks newsletters are. Most builders will be using this content also, so it is intentional that they are in the same place. Frequent builder feedback laments the decentralized nature of the resources available to us. I hope to continue this trend if any other resources become available that can be presented at bearhawk.tips. Though the system does allow for monetizing the content, it also works just fine for "free" content.

At the bottom of the page at https://bearhawk.tips/kit you'll find a text listing of manual entires, in chronological order that they were added to the site. This allows you to easily catch up on what has been newly added. But the intended primary means of navigation is "the map" or "the tree." It is embedded in a tiny window on the same page, but it is much easier to use at this URL:
    Public mind map by Jared Yates. Create your own collaborative mind maps for free at www.mindmeister.com

This tree, inspired by, um, another type of kit that ends with "X", is the best way that I could come up with to present the information. Sometimes tasks are dependent on other tasks, and sometimes you can jump right in without any prerequisite steps. The map allows you to easily see where each step falls in the chronology required to complete the kit. Most boxes have a little arrow, which is a link to the corresponding manual entry. There may be a link or two that aren't active yet, since I have created links for topics that are still in the approval queue. You'll notice that the topics also naturally fall into geographic areas that correspond to sections of the airplane. Like the wing tasks tend to be on the same branch of the tree, up until they are attached to the fuselage, etc. There are plenty of opportunities to change the look and feel of this concept if we need to, and perhaps also an option to export it into something that looks more like the text outline you'd use to write an essay in 8th grade.

I was waiting to make this post until all of the old manual had been incorporated, but we started talking about it on another thread, so I realized I needed to do it now instead. Thus, there are a couple of parts of the old manual that are still not posted, which include mounting the ailerons and flaps, mounting the wingtips, pitot tube mounting, and wing wiring. I hope to have these done in the next few weeks depending on how quickly the Q4 Beartracks issue goes together.

So having said all of that, this thread is a great venue to discuss the manual as it is. Especially, what tasks are things that need to be done, but aren't on the map? Rob and Jim, can you say more about what you don't like about the map (the whole concept, anything in particular)? I was just about to branch out the current 4-Place tree into specialized separate trees for the LSA and Patrol, but I'd like to make sure that the 4-Place tree is as good as it can be before we do that.

The goal here is to produce the most usable manual possible, knowing that 40 hours of professionally-produced video would probably be even better, but not funded at the moment. Please provide open feedback about how it can be more usable, you won't hurt my feelings. Or if you do I'll tell you, so if I don't tell you, assume that you haven't.

Are you referring to the next generation of these manuals? https://bearhawkaircraft.com/kit-builder-manuals/

Comment

• jaredyates
      jaredyates commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, exactly. And expanding eventually to cover the other types.

So one thing my tech counselor hit on, and suggested a DAR might take issue with, is there's not really definitive instruction on where to start or what steps need to be completed in which order. In the PDF manuals there was section at the beginning that laid out a rough outline of major steps and suggested where to start, though showing him that still didn't seem to satisfy him. I don't think he understood that there wasn't a step-by-step instruction manual for assembling these kits.

Looking at the website it seems that if you were coming into this blind it would be pretty confusing what step #1 should be, or what comes after that. Maybe there is and I just missed it, but a landing page with that info would be useful IMO.

Thanks Jared for all your work on this!
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Comment

• robcaldwell
      robcaldwell commented
      Editing a comment
      Step by Step is my concern as well, Dave. I also can't seem to determine if this manual is something I need access to, or not. I already have Newton's big manual as well as the 5 manuals. And I review BH Tips site as well. I hesitate jumping into another set of manuals when I am already spending 75% of my dedicated building time, "trying to figure something out".

• jaredyates
      jaredyates commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting Dave, thanks. The idea would be that you could start at any step on the map that didn't have a box to the left of it on the same branch. Maybe I could style those end boxes a different color to highlight which ones they are? One of the challenges that the map attempts to mitigate is that many tasks have a step 1, and many of those can be done as the first step on the kit. If the map is working correctly, it should be that any non-prerequisite step could be your first, without allowing you to paint yourself into the corner. Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll try it with screen shots.

To Rob's comment, sorry to have caught you in the middle of the process! I can see what you mean about that and hope that it will be less of a factor to a new builder who starts tomorrow so to speak.

As for the original 5 pdfs, except for the few caveats in the first post (hanging the ailerons and flaps, wingtips, etc) everything in the original pdfs is either posted to the new site, removed because it was superseded/obsolete, or (hopefully not) omitted by error. The new content is made from taking the original manual and pasting it into a giant word document, then working through it one section at a time. If there is any case where you are finding info in the 5 original pdfs that isn't also on bearhawk.tips and you don't know why, please let me know.
      Last edited by jaredyates; 12-19-2018, 07:29 PM.

To Dave B's comment - it has seemed over the years that builders like to start things differently. Some prefer to start on the wings, and others on the fuselage. On either the wings OR the fuselage there are many tasks that can be done first. So it has been intentional that we don't give a step by step what you should do first. Having said that - I do have my opinions and am free with them when asked by a builder. Maybe we could do a step by step with the caveat that the right path is not "written in stone". More than one way to skin the Bearhawk.

We all owe (especially me) Jared a tremendous amount of gratitude for undertaking this task. He has a full time job and a young family with plenty to do. But he has taken upon himself this BIG job. Just for a frame of reference - I was told by someone at Vans that for the RV14 they had one engineer and two draftsmen working FULL time for two years to come up with that build manual. So understand a manual is a really quite an undertaking. So a huge thank you to Jared. Mark

Comment

• robcaldwell
      robcaldwell commented
      Editing a comment
      Couldn't agree more! Thanks, Jared!

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
    More than one way to skin the Bearhawk.
    Ain't that true lol, I like that. So I initially DIDN'T follow the manual and though I'd be clever leaving the fuse off the main gear. That was WRONG, having the fuse up and being able to move it around is the way to go. So +1 for the manual suggestion there. I found the PDF manual intro quite useful in overall planning however.

Rob, I'd recommend getting access to the Bearhawk.tips manual as it represents the latest-and-greatest. It will also be helpful if you can give some feedback on it as well, this effort will greatly benefit those who come after us. Though like Jared said it's not 100% complete, I go back and forth between it and the PDF manuals still.
    Last edited by Archer39J; 12-19-2018, 05:32 PM.
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Comment

• robcaldwell
      robcaldwell commented
      Editing a comment
      I really struggle with Bearhawk.tips as I find the content to be more overview and commentary than instructional.

• jaredyates
      jaredyates commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there a particular article? Some are intended to be overview and commentary, some are intended to be instructional, all are adjustable.

Jared, I think there should be sections like there is currently, but I also see a need for step-by-step instructions in each section. More detail can then be added were steps are missing.

Even just numbered points in with white-space in between would be a great start. Reading those huge paragraphs had me losing my place and missing sentences.

There are heaps of amazing manuals out there. We should be copying a format which works well.
    Last edited by Battson; 12-19-2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• jaredyates
      jaredyates commented
      Editing a comment
      If you see a section where steps are missing, let me know which section it is and which steps are missing and we'll add the detail. It's difficult in retrospect to fill in the gaps that are obvious to someone trying to complete the task, especially for the first time. This is where the comments can be handy, but email to me works as well. I'm all for copying a good format, point me to the ones you like the best. If you can make it specific and actionable, I'll take specific action.
      Last edited by jaredyates; 12-19-2018, 07:30 PM.

Originally posted by jaredyates
    Interesting Dave, thanks. The idea would be that you could start at any step on the map that didn't have a box to the left of it on the same branch. Maybe I could style those end boxes a different color to highlight which ones they are? One of the challenges that the map attempts to mitigate is that many tasks have a step 1, and many of those can be done as the first step on the kit. If the map is working correctly, it should be that any non-prerequisite step could be your first, without allowing you to paint yourself into the corner. Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll try it with screen shots.

To Rob's comment, sorry to have caught you in the middle of the process! I can see what you mean about that and hope that it will be less of a factor to a new builder who starts tomorrow so to speak.

As for the original 5 pdfs, except for the few caveats in the first post (hanging the ailerons and flaps, wingtips, etc) everything in the original pdfs is either posted to the new site, removed because it was superseded/obsolete, or (hopefully not) omitted by error. The new content is made from taking the original manual and pasting it into a giant word document, then working through it one section at a time. If there is any case where you are finding info in the 5 original pdfs that isn't also on bearhawk.tips and you don't know why, please let me know.
    That map is incredibly cool, really valuable and I think it's a great way to visualize it. Still I think a page with an outline of tasks and recommended order of assembly would be very helpful for someone starting out. Back to the MGL example, the PDFs recommend this be the first thing you do, though I agree it's not the only way to start, while on the map installing the MGL actually starts with "Select wheels and brakes". Though this is actually the first step you need to take to install the MGL, just looking at the map it isn't immediately clear. I could see someone being overwhelmed just landing on the map page and being told to have at it.
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Comment

I want a very big hard copy of the flow chart on the wall of my workshop.
      Brooks Cone
      Southeast Michigan
      Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Jared;
        I agree with Johnathon about taking a well thought out template and using that. I think Van's would probably be the obvious choice, but there were some famously good kits in the past like the Christen Eagle. I personally am greatly appreciative of all the work you have put into this, and all the great info I got here on this forum, both by lurking, and being active and asking questions.

I think I just accidentally retired, and will be away from my project for a couple of months for the winter. I will get my builders log in order. There were a few areas that I spent way too much time on, and with a little step by step it would have been a lot easier. Aft aileron cables and gas tank/plumbing come to mind. The fuselage has been mostly pretty straight forward.

I think one of the biggest problems (you know this) is that the kits have changed over the years, and how do you keep up with all the changes.

Comment

Thought I’d pipe in as an about to start quickbuilder. I understand that there are many options for how to proceed but for me a stock or default list to fall back on would be immensely helpful. Like any mod a person can deviate if he knows enough to do so, but I know nothing... if I have to guess where to start, it will be scary.
          Thank you a TON for working on this. You will be saving me many many hours of confusion!
          Almost flying!

Comment

Originally posted by svyolo View Post
            Jared;
            I agree with Johnathon about taking a well thought out template and using that. I think Van's would probably be the obvious choice, but there were some famously good kits in the past like the Christen Eagle.
            A template.....

Building my Patrol has been a bit like an Easter Egg hunt. I find eggs hiding in the AC43.13, Tony Bengelis, The Patrol Book, Three places with Newtons name, Erb, The Build Manual, and here.

Jared is ending the easter egg hunt. The flow chart exposes all the hiding places of the good eggs, so we kiddies know where to find them. If the bad eggs get lost, thats ok.

A standard template with an industry best, well thought out format is a great idea, but for now its just Data Collection. A manual with that "industry best template" only cost money......$250,000 - $500,000??? It will have diagrams like Spinningwrench can produce, step by step bullet points written at a 8th grade reading level so dyslexics like em.....i mean me..... can follow and comprehend.

If we fund it with a thousand $500 donations it will blow the budget of every scratch builder for next year and most of the kit builders.

If that "industry best template" existed, and if I had the skills, then I would try to produce a section for drilling the Flap Arms, because thats what I just did, and I know "what I wish I had known and what I learned on my own" to assure precision and success. I would use all the current flow chart contents, add/condense what I learned that was missing/extra, and maybe come out with a concise section for the manual the conformed to the template. I never imagined that building an airplane would lead to honing and practicing technical writing skills.

For now Jared is exposing all the hiding places to the kiddies. The template I think is in the future. But for today I'm not sure how to give input. I just tried. I don't tweet, or facebook. I don't see another option.

Words can't express how important clear assembly instructions are, and how grateful I am to see this coming about. Thumbs up Jared!

Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Spending 8 hours to figure out how to do 1 hours of work can be frustrating, but in those 8 hours I learn a lot. I am not sure if I would have learned as much with a step by step manual.

But given a choice I would still take the manual.

Comment

I think the reason Eric Newtons manuals sell so well...is,there is some content on his website so you have an idea of what you're buying.....

i also own the builder CD....cause of what I saw on his site....

can you post on here a little sample of what's going on in the manual...just one step you think showcases it....make it easier for me to justify another manual purchase...

Or post partial parts of some steps/pictures...ect....so,your not giving away the whole show...but we get an idea of the value ....
                Last edited by way_up_north; 12-22-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• jaredyates
                  jaredyates commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The map is available at the links above without any restrictions. To get a sense of how the site works you can use this link to sign up for the section of the Beartracks archive that comes with your plans:

It is free/prepaid to plans holders. Lots of builders find good value in the rest of the Beartracks archive also. I wouldn't want to build without it, but that's just me.
                  To get a better sense of the kit manual content, check out the old pdf files. It is safe to say that probably 70% is unchanged, other than making better organization, categories and such.
                  As always, if you were to purchase access and then find that the resources did not provide enough value for the price, I'd be happy to refund the price and remove the access. As of now that is all that I have set up for the Kit Manual, since the primary audience at this stage is the kit builder.

Jared,
                One thing that might make things a lot easier is creating a hyperlink to the pertinent Beartracks, or at least referencing which issue of Beartracks you are referring too. Simply referencing "Beartracks" as a source to go to look at is very time consuming. A few here might know it off of the top of their head, 1st time builders will not.

Comment

• jaredyates
                  jaredyates commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I usually do provide links, is there a particular instance where I failed to? Let me know and I'll fix it.

This has been a good discussion, though I'm realizing I should give more detail about what kind of feedback is going to be the most productive.

While we don't have the resources to do what Vans does, can we talk more specifically about what they do well?

Imagine you are in my position. You want to make the best manual you can. Someone says "Make the manual like Vans." Yes, that would be great, but what do you do with that?

On the other hand, someone says "The entry about the doors doesn't have enough detail." That's getting closer to something that we can take action on.

Even better, if someone says "The section on the doors is missing step X, Y, and Z, I had to figure those things out on my own when I did it, because the manual fell short." This is great! I can add those steps. Bonus points if you can send photos, or at least request a particular kind of photo.

Vans manuals are what they are because they have been written based on construction of the airplanes, both by the original writers and by thousands of builders who called/wrote in to complain when the manual fell short. Perhaps the wording was clear to 1 out of 200 builders, but by the time 2000 had used the manual, it was clear that 10 people read that particular sentence and it needed to be revised. We don't have the volume that will allow us to see trends like this, which is why I'm wanting to incorporate feedback even if it only comes from one builder. This will work best if it is an active process based on participation. I realize this takes work and I don't think any less of a builder who would rather not participate, but feedback from people actually using the manual to build airplanes is the only way it will improve.

Anything that applies to a specific article, such as an opportunity to provide a link, ​​​​​​the paragraphs are too long, not enough formatting to break up the steps, is extremely valuable! Let me know which post it is. There are 461 Beartracks entries and 75 Kit Manual entries as of today, with those numbers growing. Each article was crafted with the intent of meeting goals of optimum form and function, so if it fails, I want to fix it! But I can't read them all again and try to imagine which one made you feel that way. Send an email (web@bearhawkstore.com or any of my others), or make a comment right there on the entry (that sends an email, and its also visible to other readers), or if those don't work, just about any other communication method is welcome.

What if the feedback doesn't relate to a particular article, but the whole site? Very good feedback would be along the lines of "when I'm trying to use the site it is frustrating and inconvenient because ______" (the search isn't good enough, the index doesn't have enough categories, the font is too small, who knows what else, I'm happy to hear it all). I can't necessarily promise a quick fix, but my goal is to make the site as usable as possible for as many people as possible.

All feedback is welcome, but hopefully this will help clarify what kind of feedback is going to most readily improve the manual for the next builder.

Comment

• AKKen07
                  AKKen07 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Jared, I will send as much feedback as I can once I get started.
              Working...
              X