Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPRL fuel selector and gascolator install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sooooo much variation to fuel system install. Makes it hard to compare fuel system issues between builders because every one is a one off, including mine, which looks nothing like any of these.

Comment

My install is very similar to Rob's. I didn't like the idea of cutting the stainless panel. I have fitted a door in the lower boot cowl extension to access the gascolator

Comment

I went ahead and cut an access panel this morning, in the stainless tunnel. I still need to make the cover. Problem is we are in a lockdown here in NZ so I can’t get supplies and I don’t have any stainless sheet. My question is, could I make the cover from .025 or .032 aluminium sheet ? Thoughts appreciated.

76E8EECA-DBBC-48F6-830B-7812BF7C1892.jpeg
        Nev Bailey
        Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
        YouTube - Build and flying channel
        Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• Paul Johnston
          Paul Johnston commented
          Editing a comment
          I would- I think aluminum would be fine

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          A piece of .032 aluminum would be OK I think also. Mark

• Nev
          Nev commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks gents, I’ll do that.

Surely the tunnel is made of stainless steel for a reason?

The tunnel has more direct airflow through into the cabin from that area where the hole is, so you want to ensure there is not any exhaust gas getting past the tunnel panel. and rising up past the pedals I would suggest a gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post
          Surely the tunnel is made of stainless steel for a reason?
          Yes, hence my question. But I think given the proximity of the cover being aft and inside the exhausts the heat should be minimal. There’s .025 sheet aluminium 10mm further aft, followed by fabric all at a safe distance.

The tunnel has more direct airflow through into the cabin from that area where the hole is, so you want to ensure there is not any exhaust gas getting past the tunnel panel. and rising up past the pedals I would suggest a gasket.
          This is a very relevant point given the fuel drain hole. The cover is easy to seal around the edges, but the drain hole not so much. Any suggestions appreciated.

Here’s where I’m currently at (the other hole is for the VHF aerial between the exhausts - it has a gasket) :

BD2F12A9-8116-450E-8E22-2978F4C78712.jpeg

7B050F80-A949-4EAF-847F-2756377B8A1F.jpeg
          Last edited by Nev; 08-25-2021, 12:56 AM.
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

Comment

• Battson
            Battson commented
            Editing a comment
            Perhaps a rubber plate across the back side of the cover plate?

• Paul Johnston
            Paul Johnston commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks good Nev! Drain hole is ok as is
            Last edited by Paul Johnston; 08-25-2021, 11:40 PM.

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            I might try making a small seal using red high temp silicon around the drain.

Following on from the above discussion, it does seems that exhaust is finding its way in around the gascolator drain valve. I've now sealed the top of the oleo struts pretty well, and also the top of the gear legs, and around the fire wall. I've been taping over the hole after draining fuel but I need a more permanent and functional solution.

One idea is to make a hinged flap with a rubber seal, held closed by a Camloc.

I'm wondering if a simple small gurney flap in front of the hole will cause cabin air to be drawn out (like the cowling exit cooling lip) rather than being forced in.

Thoughts ?
          Last edited by Nev; 12-26-2021, 10:50 PM.
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

Comment

Lot of ways to plumb the fuel selector. This arrangement put the gascolator in a good position. I am using wood floorboards and split them down the middle under the pilots feet for easy access to all the plumbing and brake rigging.

Fuel Plumbing-1S.jpg

Fuel Plumbing-2S.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X