Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell us what you did today on your Bearhawk Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up the seats today. Now I can sit in and make airplane noises in comfort.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
    IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

• I decided I wanted an easy way to lubricate the flap actuator tube in the wing so I silver soldered on these small steel cups which mate nicely with this rubber tipped lubrication fitting.

Flap Lubrication-SS.jpg

Comment

• Sir Newton
        Sir Newton commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice. Are you going to have access hole in the lower skin?

• The inboard will have a small hole and a snap in plastic plug. The outboard is accessible through the inspection cover.

Comment

• I pulled the motor for the last few bits to add to the firewall. I never used Aeroquip style hose before, but learned quickly and glad I bought reusable fittings. I mounted the engine on a stand with a firewall mockup and instrument panel to slowly mock up how everything should work, and it almost all did. Maybe the only thing that didn't was 1 plumbing thing. (so far). Rigid or racing hose needs a bend to make installation, or removal, easy, or even possible. A 90 bend is best. If you don't plan on removing it, no worries. I knew this, but my low pressure fuel filter, on one end, was a straight fitting. That would have required removing a bunch of screws (hard) on the fuel pump cover, removing that line, and then being able to remove the line to the filter. So I ordered a speed flow 90 degree fitting, to screw into the fuel filter, so I can use an Aeroquip style fitting on the fillter, to make servicing the filter easier. i will post some pics tomorrow.

Reusable fittings for the fuel and oil cost more in the beginning, but saved me money. Probably several hundred dollars.

Comment

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          Would you author a thread....maybe in "Building Tips" to expose us to the type of Aeroquip Hose and model of Reusable fittings that you found ideal, the tooling to fabricate a line and link of a "how to fabicate" video?

• jaredyates
          jaredyates commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a great Beartracks article!

• svyolo
          svyolo commented
          Editing a comment
          I can do it, but there are a bunch of youtube videos on it. I will start a thread, and include links to the better youtube videos, and stuff I learned. I am super glad I bought re-useable fittings, as I doubt I didn't redo less than 70% of them. In particular, the bigger fittings for the oil lines are a lot bigger than I would have thought, and that changed the geometry of how they worked together.

I think the way I ended up doing the oil filter and Van's oil cooler mount (very similar to what Nev did) Is about as simple as you can do it, but the geometry of the fittings is still huge, and not what you might expect.

Starting out, I actually sort of "knew what I didn't know". I went with re-useable fittings because i knew I wouldn't get it right the first time. They are more expensive, but saved me money in the end. The cheapest, if you knew exactly what you were doing, would be crimped hydraulic hoses from a local shop.

But I will resurrect another thread, or start another one, and mostly include links. The videos are better than anything I could do.

• This weekend I mounted two cabin heat cables and made brackets in the cockpit, and fitted them. Also two cables for an unbuilt cowl flap, and alternate air inlet which is built, but not installed. Almost finished up power "big wire" power supply wiring. I was short 1 connector. Hopefully first "Master on" tomorrow. I have had the engine on and off a couple of times the last 2 weeks, never took the engine off the hoist. I wanted to make sure all the big stuff played together well. Almost all of it did.

Hopefully no "smoke check" tomorrow.

Comment

• AKKen07
          AKKen07 commented
          Editing a comment
          Fingers crossed!

• No smoke, only a couple of minor errors. Avionics master switch is mounted upside down.

I used a commercially available switch/relay panel meant to be the electrical system for a vehicle. Two separate buses, all wired up according to the aeroelectric connection, 1 alt, 2 batteries. Minimal switches, just enough to check backups (ignition, fuel pumps, and 2 voltage regulators). Pitot heat and strobe lights in the wing root, LED position lights come on with the avionics master.

The relay panel weighs about the same as a VPX. Very ruggedly made, IP67 or 68, I can't remember. There is a sealed cover that goes over the relays/fuses. It massively reduces the number of terminals per circuit.

The relays are all dual pole. In normal flight, none of the relays will be energized. Only the master relay is energized once everything is up and running.

So far so good.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Nev
          Nev commented
          Editing a comment
          Smart idea using the relay panel John.

• AKKen07
          AKKen07 commented
          Editing a comment
          svyolo - it looks like we are going down a very similar road here (at least in my imagination, which is where all my electronics currently reside...). I am looking at how to plot all this on my firewall - especially the 2 batteries. How did you arrange them?

• Spec/source for relay panel?

Comment

• Hello guys, I'm new here so forgive me if I'm positing incorrectly, I just received my quick build Model B, and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues, with the fit of there trim torque tube.

Byron D.

Comment

• Nev
            Nev commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Byron, welcome ! Try posting your message as a new post under General Discussion - New Topic.

• Originally posted by Bdombrowski2@gmail.com View Post
          Hello guys, I'm new here so forgive me if I'm positing incorrectly, I just received my quick build Model B, and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing issues, with the fit of there trim torque tube.

Byron D.
          Ha, I did my fitting yesterday (Companion QB Kit) It took time, it was a slow process sanding out the holes for the tube on all four fittings (2 each side). Go slow
          N678C
          https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...=7pfctcIVW&add
          Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA

Comment

• Originally posted by marcusofcotton View Post
            Spec/source for relay panel?
            I bought mine from Waytek. I also bought the connectors in bulk, not knowing you could buy them individually online. I think I paid a little over 500 bucks for the panel. They make smaller versions as well, but I needed a lot of circuits.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Spent the day making access port frames up for the left wing. So far so good with the exception that I got ahead of myself and riveted all the nutplates on before match drilling to the wing skin. Anyway, that'll resolve itself somehow.

Having finished the right wing now, I had spent hours and hours research how to do each part, the instructions were only a small help and in some areas incorrect. The result is that the left wing is progressing much faster. The aileron balance cable is already installed, tank cover nutplates drilled and countersunk, wing-end nutplates drilled and dimpled, bellcrank installed etc.

2B7FEE1C-42AA-4CDB-8B73-FF2E824F038A.jpeg

F7A2CC44-9E8C-468E-B2D8-FB534E40FA05.jpeg

6F8F1B47-5359-407F-97FB-4E21AF144568.jpeg

3FF99B6A-0662-4217-A6C8-5396602A8D01.jpeg

BF764F10-F997-448D-BF71-C11AB5A969F1.jpeg

CC82947B-E8EC-4A14-A9A9-57AE203B1974.jpeg
              image_10242.jpg
              Nev Bailey
              Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
              YouTube - Build and flying channel
              Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

• jaredyates
                jaredyates commented
                Editing a comment
                If you have any improvements for the instructions, please send them over so that I can incorporate them.

• Looking good Nev!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Comment

• 89F112BE-C22E-4B91-BB78-991527B261CB.jpeg

had a couple pieces I drew up in cad laser cut as a test. Pretty cheap and easy.
                Attached Files

Comment

• AKKen07
                  AKKen07 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s pretty cool!

• Curious about the trim horns, I cannot see anything on the dwg that calls out a 5/8" through hole at the center of the horn for the T-9 tube. I'm in the process of building these right now. Hole or no hole?
                Thx
                Gerry
                Patrol #30

Comment

• Originally posted by geraldmorrissey View Post
                  Curious about the trim horns, I cannot see anything on the dwg that calls out a 5/8" through hole at the center of the horn for the T-9 tube. I'm in the process of building these right now. Hole or no hole?
                  Thx
                  Gerry
                  Patrol #30
                  Good question, from what I can see on the plans is that the trim tab is welded to the t9 tube, and that t9 tube is then bolted to a t5 tube that is passed through the trim horn.

I may be misinterpreting this though so hopefully another builder can chime in!

Comment

Working...
                  X