Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stringers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stringers

What is everyone doing for stringers?
    I would prefer to use the heavy extruded aluminum ones but my kit came with the aircraft Spruce stringers and they are really flimsy, Mark G told me to get in touch with Superior Mason Corp but they have since discontinued making the 5/16 x 1 extruded
    Last edited by Luke68; 01-31-2017, 08:26 PM.

If they are the same stringers that came with my Patrol kit from AviPro, once they are in place they are amazingly strong and rigid. I'm happy with mine.
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Hi Luke68 we used the Steen Aerolab alum stringers, they are 5/16 X 7/8 rolled and have a seam.Here is the website.

Hope this helps

Comment

• Luke68
        Luke68 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is exactly what I have been looking for.
        Thanks

I bought Aircraft Spruce aluminum stringers and didn't like them. I'm sure they would be ok but I wanted something stronger. I looked up wood stringers and how the grain is supposed to run and cut my own. They are much stronger than the Aircraft Spruce stringers and I am very happy with them.
      Last edited by whee; 02-01-2017, 11:20 AM.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Luke68
        Luke68 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have also started making my own, they would work fine but on a champ we covered a few years ago the wood stringers tend to move a little with temp and moisture changes.

I opted for the ACS stringers (5/8 x 5/16 x .035) for weight, price, and build time. There is a huge weight difference between these and the ones that used to come with the kits. I'm also scratch building so I was able to custom-size the standoffs and add an extra couple of standoffs. I haven't covered the fuselage yet, but the stringers have been fitted and I haven't looked back.

Comment

Sitka Spruce has about the highest strength to weight ratio of any wood. I calculated that Stringers made of Spruce would weight 2.7 pounds. The weight of Aluminum Stringer from Mark I calculated would weigh 10.3 pounds.

I used these numbers in my calculations.
        • Avipro - 3/8 x 1 x .050 Al - .163 lb/linear ft
        • spruce wood strips 1/4-5/16 x 1 - .043 lb/linear ft
        • Plans called for 63.1 feet of stringer material.
        Brooks Cone
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I think your calculation of 63 ft might be short. I send seven 16 ft stringers with the kits, and there is some left over but I do not think half. Mark

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          I recalculated the weight of the stringer material that came with the kit. The kit came with 112' of 1" x 5/16" aluminum stringer material. Actual weight of the stringer material, using an uncertified scale, is 15 pounds. I believe this to accurate within a 1/2 pound. That gives us a weight of .134 pound per foot. The weight of the same volume of Sitka Spruce is 6.5 pounds, and Douglas Fir, also having a high strength to weight ratio, is 7.7 pounds.

Three coats of 2 part epoxy varnish from Poly Fiber will add weight to the lumber.
          Last edited by Bcone1381; 05-01-2017, 02:00 PM.

• TimTall
          TimTall commented
          Editing a comment
          A follow up to the stringer length and weight discussion for those of you searching the forums in the future:

Stringer lengths:
          2@ 165"
          1@ 136"
          2@ 120"
          1@ 91"
          1@ 83"
          for a total of 73'

I used Douglas Fir cut at 5/16" x 1"

Total weight is 6.33lb with two coats of a heavy duty spar varnish.

I plan to wrap a few layers of fiberglass around the side stringers in front of the lifting handles just in case someone pushes on the side of the plane or slips and falls into while trying to move it.

Just weighed mine with two coats of Helmsman Minwax. 5 lbs 3 oz. 1" X 7/16". Sitka spruce.

Comment

I went with the ACS aluminum extruded stringers. They work fine and are lightweight. When you shrink the fabric they may pull to the side you are shrinking. Just be sure to shrink the fabric evenly. You can scooch them to be straight when you are done.

Comment

I was just about to start installing the stringers after moving my shop location. I had to move the bundle of stringer material as well. I haven't picked it up in 3 months. A quick search got me to this thread. It sure seems like spruce stringers are a cheap and cheerful weight reduction. Maybe the cheapest per pound by quite a bit.

For those of you who used wood stringers, any regrets? I would do 1 coat of epoxy as a sealant, with ALL excess wiped away.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
              Mark Goldberg commented
              Editing a comment
              These stringers are indeed a little heavy, and it is out of the normal for Bob to want to use something heavier than another option. But Bob had a plane damaged by someone leaning on the side of his plane at an airshow. He likes the stronger aluminum stringers for that reason. Mark

I have restored several Aeronca Champs and machined my own mushroom hat stringers from Spruce or Doug Fir. I apply two coats of Randolph epoxy and will probably do the same on my Patrol. Making the stringers is a bit tricky but the jigs are easy to make for use on a router table.
            Last edited by spinningwrench; 08-06-2018, 09:26 PM.

Comment

A broken stringer would be a bummer. I will have to think about it. It sure would be nice to take 5-8 lbs out of the back the fuselage.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                Mark Goldberg commented
                Editing a comment
                It might be the case that the stringers on the fuselage bottom of less strong material might be a compromise. MG

Thinking about it more, Cessna never offered a "steel panel" option for their fuselages. I will get a little of the quarter sawn spruce and see what I think. Weight out of the tail is pretty valuable to me.

Comment

Univair stringers, strong and light, I don't remember the cost, wasn't outrageous. Shipping would be the issue, I was able to pick them up at their facility in Denver.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• svyolo
                  svyolo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting. I will look into those as well.

Originally posted by rodsmith View Post
                Univair stringers, strong and light, I don't remember the cost, wasn't outrageous. Shipping would be the issue, I was able to pick them up at their facility in Denver.
                Used these on my Bearhawk and Pacer... can’t post a picture from Tapatalk?
                Last edited by Mark Moyle; 08-09-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Looking at that Univair stringer cross-section, there wouldn't be much difference in the total volume of aluminium compared to the box section stringer which the kit includes. Is the alloy thinner or lighter perhaps, to save the weight?

The rounded head would save a lot of taping and filing, which would be nice.

That 'mushroom' cross section is a more flexible (weaker?) cross-sectional shape than the box section, in terms of both twisting and folding sideways. Bending strength would be about the same as a box section. Although it may not matter at all, if the strength is high enough overall.

I have had several cases of 'hangar rash' involving stringers, despite it being a private hangar with two family aircraft. I wouldn't count on plane being handled carefully.They can take some knocks. In the same breath, weight in the tail is worth avoiding!

Comment

Working...
                  X