Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seaplane Rating begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seaplane Rating begins!

As I'm absolutely planning for a life on the water in my plane (when it isn't frozen solid, of course). My wife bought me an early birthday present today of my first seaplane lesson! 1.3 hours in a Citabria 150 on straight floats. What an amazing experience!

This is "First Seaplane Lesson" by Christopher Owens on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
    Last edited by Chris In Milwaukee; 09-03-2017, 09:59 PM.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Absolutely awesome!
    Stephen B. Murphey
    Bearhawk LSA
    Building #L-089

Comment

Hi Chris,
      Nice experience. Are you going to build bearhawk SP?
      Patrol #314(scratch building)
      Moscow, Russia

Comment

Originally posted by Olm
        Hi Chris,
        Nice experience. Are you going to build bearhawk SP?
        I plan to build it with the accommodations for floats, including seaplane doors and ventral fin. I probably won't put it on floats right away since amphibs are pretty spendy. I live on dry land, but my cabin is on the water, so can't (conveniently) use straight floats.

The Bearhawk Book describes the changes that need to be made to the structure in the middle of the plane for floats (tubing size in a couple of places. I think the QB kits have these in them already, but @markgoldberg can tell us for sure.
        Christopher Owens

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Chris, my recollection is that you are correct. But I am not 100% sure. I have my seaplane training scheduled for the end of Oct at Jack Brown's seaplane base in Florida. Right before the Deland airshow. Mark

• Chris In Milwaukee
          Chris In Milwaukee commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking forward to hearing of your adventure!

To speak about Patrol, as I could understand there are two different type of seaplaneas: it can be with changed tubing size and with two doors(on both sides). The two doors is sold as QB kits, and there is no information in the book.
        Patrol #314(scratch building)
        Moscow, Russia

Comment

Got my SES in '94. Had a Kitfox on amphibs for several years. Absolutely the most fun I ever had in an airplane! Float flying is a whole different world.
          Have fun Chris! You too Mark!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Olm View Post
            To speak about Patrol, as I could understand there are two different type of seaplaneas: it can be with changed tubing size and with two doors(on both sides). The two doors is sold as QB kits, and there is no information in the book.
            I don't remember if I have read about anyone putting the Patrol on floats yet. Perhaps those that are doing it will let us know. While I have Patrol plans, I haven't yet spent a lot of time reviewing them and the Bearhawk Patrol Book. The Patrol's fuselage is a lot simpler in the area behind the vertical post at the rear spar carry through. The cargo doors on the 4-place make that area on the right side more of a challenge to stabilize, I imagine, which is probably why those tubes were made thicker for seaplanes: to prevent buckling. I imagine if you sent an email to Bob, he could tell you for certain if any changes should be made to the Patrol.
            Christopher Owens

Comment

Working...
            X