Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skin around wing window help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skin around wing window help.

Hey guys I'm getting ready to trim out the aluminum around my side windows and I'm finding at the top of the window you can't overlap the aluminum far enough to seal that area from wind. Could you guys tell me what you did or even better take pictures of this area?
    Attached Files

I think the best thing to do is just grind those hinges off and install piano hinge. I haven’t done mine yet but I noticed it on other bearhawks and it’s something that needs a change

Comment

I'm going to tackle that soon also. I'm interested to hear what people have to say. I was planning to just use some sealing strips to fill the gap, but maybe there's a better way.
      Bobby Stokes
      4-Place Kit Builder
      Queen Creek, AZ
      http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

On my Patrol Kit, when the open window rotates on the hinges to down to the closed position, the window's upper horizontal tube will approach the fuselage's upper frame tube, but about 1/8" gap remains with the window fully closed.

I plan to seal this gap by using some type of adhesive backed compressible foam strip, maybe 3/16" thick. I probably will stick it to the window frame....but I am not quite there yet.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...e-1-4-x-36-yds
        McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
        Last edited by Bcone1381; 04-11-2018, 12:48 PM. Reason: speling
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Ed.Meyer
          Ed.Meyer commented
          Editing a comment
          This is what we did on the Patrol. Easy and works fine.

Here are 3 pictures showing what I did.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
          Chris In Milwaukee commented
          Editing a comment
          You, sir, are quite the craftsman!

• jaredyates
          jaredyates commented
          Editing a comment
          Bob's solution is the one I always regard as the most elegant. I have studied it in hopes of reproducing it one day but so far I just use the foam tape. I have the advantage of warmer air to fly through most of the time.

I agree with Jared. Here are some shots from the outside that I took at Oshkosh last year. Very well thought out and executed!

I see no seams between the horizontal and vertical members of the widow trim. I think it was cut out of one piece of AL.
        ​
        Nice keyed lock.
        ​

Nice Blue Sky....or is it super clean window?

Nice workmanship all the way around.
        IMG_3671.jpg
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• jaredyates
          jaredyates commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm seeing that too, it almost looks like they didn't quite get uploaded right. Is anyone seeing them?
          Last edited by jaredyates; 04-12-2018, 01:06 PM.

• Ed.Meyer
          Ed.Meyer commented
          Editing a comment
          I am not seeing first 4 but do see the last and the 3 in the earlier post. I don't have the "invalid file.." message. Just placeholders instead of pics.

• JimParker256
          JimParker256 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, but if you click on these "placeholders", the window that opens says "Invalid file specified."
      Working...
      X