Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tires, When to Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Archer39J View Post
    I'm a little surprised this isn't really covered in any BH materials that I can find. I'm having to turn to VAF to learn about tire ply ratings, which it seems isn't really indicative of how many actual plies are used. I think it would be a benefit to have a blurb about the preferred ply rating in the manual.
    The manual wouldn't need to cover tire ply ratings in my view. Nice to have, but not strictly in scope.
    The manual is about building the plane and "how to", rather than general knowledge about the parts which make up what you are building. By the same token it doesn't cover the AN bolt numbering system, engine power/weight ratios by manufacturer, avionics functionality, or prop RPM limits.

Comment

jaredyates I wasn't intending to disparage the beta manual. I was thinking about the legacy manual, Eric's manual, and that there's no previous mention on the forums that I could find, in that comment. The beta manual is a great resource I know is still in work.

Battson As the manuals speak to the different use cases for different tires an overview of ply ratings and what that means for us is absolutely in scope. That's kind of what that whole section is about.
      Dave B.
      Plane Grips Co.
      www.planegrips.com

Comment

VAF is pretty much the world standard for the latest and greatest. Light civil aviation "died" in America in the early 80's. Other than Canada and Australia, i can't think of any other country where it was ever very big. EAB aviation IS the standard for light civil aviation.

This forum is outstanding for BH specific stuff. But it is a small community. For general EAB info/learning/questions, VAF is the place to go. Just like here, mostly very helpful folks. And some VERY knowledgeable folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Wmilbauer View Post
          Every aircraft repair facility has a stack of used tires that they will give you to use until you are ready to fly
          I did this...it gave me the ability to kick the decision down the road a few more years, and reserved capital. I will buy my "real" tires at Oshkosh from Desser...they to have had sales going on then.
          Brooks Cone
          Southeast Michigan
          Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post

I did this...it gave me the ability to kick the decision down the road a few more years, and reserved capital. I will buy my "real" tires at Oshkosh from Desser...they to have had sales going on then.
            Right on, though waiting for a sale is appealing I figure I'll go ahead and bite the bullet now. Sounds like protected from the elements in my shop there won't be any issues getting them now. At least I'm bundling my ACS order with an ELT, so there's free shipping to be had
            Dave B.
            Plane Grips Co.
            www.planegrips.com

Comment

Good luck with acs... If they say the ELT is hazardous, you can expect a $50 shipping charge, in my experience. It is, of course, not hazardous, but that doesn't matter.

Comment

• Archer39J
                Archer39J commented
                Editing a comment
                Hrm, thanks for the warning. I'll be sure to double check at checkout, we'll see if they try to tack it on later.

• jaredyates
                jaredyates commented
                Editing a comment
                In my experience, it will show up in the checkout.

• Archer39J
                Archer39J commented
                Editing a comment
                Seems to have gone through with free shipping. I'll remain unconvinced until I get shipping notification though
            Working...
            X