Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounding

Researching electrical grounding I find some advocating local grounds for things like pitot heat and landing/nav lights in the wing. Will this work in our planes? Or is it best to run a ground wire all the way back?
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Always a touchy subject, grounds. For position or area lights, especially LEDs, I don't see any reason why local grounding won't work. It only takes a small amount of current to light one up, so grounding is probably not a big deal. High-current things, like pitot heat, will probably work best when they've got a solid, low-resistance path to ground. In that case, a dedicated ground line back to the grounding block is probably a good idea. Incandescent bulbs, like those in steam gauges are probably okay with local grounds. Higher-current lights, like LED landing lights, I'd probably go with central ground.

Device chargers can be really finicky with their ground preference. I have a couple of Stratus Power USB chargers in my plane. They *really* wanted grounds on the ground block. They didn't like local grounds at all, especially with a higher-current device like an iPad Pro. Any and all avionics, I'd certainly go with central grounding.

A good chunk of my electrics are centrally grounded on the firewall.

Happy to hear about others' experiences as well.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I suppose the added weight/cost is minimal enough to just throw a return in with the same bundles. More electrically clean as well.
      Dave B.
      Plane Grips Co.
      www.planegrips.com

Comment

Generally speaking, I'd say so. Lessens the likelihood of a funky ground loop that can cause noise. Which reminds me, if you've got something that can be grounded by screwing to something, and you plan on running a dedicated ground wire back to a central location, it's a good idea to isolate that "thing" from ground so when you fasten it to whatever surface it doesn't create multiple ground paths. That's a potential noise generator for sure.

Here's an example of one:

shoulder-washers-2-1.jpg

This way, you've a screw can pass through it without touching the side of the hole, and also isolates it from the surface.
        Christopher Owens

Comment

• Chris In Milwaukee
          Chris In Milwaukee commented
          Editing a comment
          Google "isolation washer". You'll find all kinds of them :-)

• Bcone1381
          Bcone1381 commented
          Editing a comment
          I did not know that about the problems multiple ground paths can cause! Great idea, Chris. Thanks for sharing! Do you have a favorite source for those grommets?

• Chris In Milwaukee
          Chris In Milwaukee commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve only dealt with them in military applications and haven’t had a need to buy any yet. I’m sure Google Shopping or eBay will reveal plenty of options. Just need to make sure you get a washer appropriate for the thickness of material and screw size you intend to use.

Garmin instructions for a magnetometer in the wing is that all electrical wiring in the wing be shielded pairs grounded centrally. Interesting that instructions for both my LED landing lights and position/strobe LEDs also recommended shielded wire and central grounding.

Comment

It's a good idea. Especially when you have something as sensitive as a magnetometer in near proximity to a potential noise generator.
          Christopher Owens

Comment

My favorite ground block. It attaches to the firewall. One side serves as ground on the engine side, the other side serves the cabin.
            B&C Specialty Products designs and builds innovative & reliable aircraft electrical systems & components for the experimental & commercial aviation markets.

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 6.23.21 PM.png
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

That’s a cool device. Certainly makes plugging in a ground easy, doesn’t it?
              Christopher Owens

Comment

Working...
              X