Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sheet aluminum--- best supplier ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheet aluminum--- best supplier ?

I bought my first bunch of sheet aluminum locally---- but they are high and don't use the protective film.
    A.S. seems to be pretty cheap---- but never ordered sheet from them.

Can you give me an idea of who many of you are using here ?

Spar is coming up soon -- so I CANT afford getting any that is scratched !!!!

Tim

PS just got an e-mail quote from TW metals-- they have a warehouse here--- 360$ for 4x12 .032 2024-t3 (and NO protective film) WOW Spruce is 170$ for the same thing Sounds like TW doesnt want business from the "little guy".

Airparts-- 4x12 .032 = 200$ (+6$ for protective film) So far Spruce is winning-----

Last edited by fairchild; 01-30-2019, 10:51 PM.

I have had good luck and service from Airparts in KC. 800-800-3229.

Comment

I've always come back to spruce, ordered sheet today in fact. They have a west coast distr. that keeps shipping somewhat reasonable if I opt to have the sheets rolled up. Pricing there is hard to beat.
      There are ways to deal with scratches...
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

Spruce or Wicks. I used Spruce because they are closer to me.

I tried using the supplier that all the local outfits use for aluminum. When I called them for a quote for 2024 with film on both sides they told me straight up they can’t beat Spruces price.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

There is no doubt that Aircraft Spruce has the best pricing for sheets based on my price comparisons.

Regarding the cap strip materials, it looks like Wick is the only viable option I can find that is willing to sell the 14-ft long 6061 strips for the rear spars.

Can anyone confirm this?

The quote I got from Wicks for all the cap strips (13) 12-ft x 1 1/4 x 1/8 2024 T4 @ $656.76, and 4) 14-ft x 3/4 x 1/8 6061 @ $86.24) with shipping/freight @ $275 totaling $1,018 delivered to the Spokane WA area...

Is that the basic going rate for the cap strips?
          Karl
          Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
          Northern Idaho

Comment

• Startin22
            Startin22 commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you tried finding it locally? I've bought quite a bit of aluminum from Alcobra metals in Spokane in the past and have always found their customer service to be quite good. They are usually priced comparably to online sources by the time you add freight.

• Chris In Milwaukee
            Chris In Milwaukee commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, 14 feet It's a thing. Rear spars on the 4-place

• jaredyates
            jaredyates commented
            Editing a comment
            One other viable option for the 14' pieces is the rib and spar kit from BA of course. The wicks stash, as I understand it, is a special mill run that they keep.around just for us.

I've used TW in Park City, KS. I found their prices go down if you buy more than one sheet. They also added protective film at no cost on my last order. I've also ordered from AC Spruce when I needed sheets smaller than 4x12. Had decent results with then too.

Comment

The deal killer with the suppliers I've spoke to including Alcobra in Spokane is that they all max out at the 12-ft length.

So far it looks like Wicks is the only one providing the 14-ft lengths (by special request).
            Karl
            Bearhawk Bravo #1508B - Scratch Build (wings)
            Northern Idaho

Comment

TW claims that they don't put film on their sheets----
              I might call the local office and see if they can confirm that.
              There are a couple more local places I have yet to try--- I will use spruce otherwise----
              Tim

Comment

They will if you ask them to, but it costs extra. When I ordered mine, I asked them to cover it. They said sure, and it showed up at my door that way... with only one side covered. If you can get a good price from them, ask them to cover *both* sides.
                Christopher Owens
                Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
                X