Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Side by side Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, I'm having a hard time understanding a Patrol side by side. I often struggle with my decision to build a 4 Place. I'll probably build a Patrol next when I finish the 4 Place. Because, I feel like I gave up centerline orientation for more capacity, which I'll probably never use. I'll spend the majority of my time flying alone wishing I was looking straight the down the cowling with my right hand on the stick and my left hand resting on the wall mounted throttle assembly.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• BravoGolf
      BravoGolf commented
      Editing a comment
      I wanted a RV-8, my wife said “not if you want me riding along.” She looks at me to see if I’m stressed, if not then everything must be okay. Probably true for most spouses. I switched to a RV-7. But centerline view and right stick flying is why I started the Patrol. But taking my wife along camping in Idaho will be fun. I guess I can always fly from the right seat so I can fly right handed. A small concession considering she never complains about aircraft parts showing up at the door.

• robcaldwell
      robcaldwell commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you BG. I was looking at the Patrol vs the 4 Place with my fiancee. She already has a hard time with these "small planes" as it is. When I told her it was a toss up between 2 seats and 4, she just looked at me and said "why would anyone want just 2 seats?" She doesn't get it and so my decision to go with the 4 Place was a concession for her, although my heart will always be in a tandem seat taildragger. (I fly a Decathlon now) Who knows... After I start flying the 4 Place maybe all that will change.

Over the years there have been countless people who have asked us for a two place side by side model. Just taking out the back seat of the 4 place would sort of do that. But the changes Bob wants to make to the "new" fuselage should result in plane that flies more like a Patrol than the 4 place. According to Bob - various design features are required when all that weight can be carried so far aft. When the need to carry all that weight far aft disappears, some design changes result that make the plane more sporty. Handling more like a Patrol. So this new model will not be the same as just taking the back seat out of a 4 place. Mark

Comment

I keep imagining the popularity takeoff of the Kitfox, with its own side-by-side seating. I can see the potential appeal, and if it wasn’t viable in the market, then Kitfox would have some explaining to do. I for one am not going to be critical of this idea, and am looking forward to seeing what comes of this! Are you guys thinking of an O-360 as a potential power plant for the Companion (or whatever the name will be)? That would definitely put it in an interesting market place
      John Wiltberger
      Model B - #1544B
      Maricopa, AZ

Comment

I agree with John.

The market is demanding a two place side by side. Vans offer a two place side by side....well no wait, three different two place side by sides. Rans has a two place side by side...no wait, three two place side by sides. But nothing will carry a the fire wood, cooler, tents, bicycles, chainsaws axes and gear into the back country like the SXS Bearhawk will. The SXS answers the publics demand with the most sturdy and capable product and Kits will be ready to be delivered I bet by the end of the year..

I think its cool that the product continues to grow. It will enable a dream and precipitate more in the future. Thats a powerful thing. Maybe it should be called "The Dream Catcher"
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

So... like a Pacer to the Maule?

The pacer is technically 4 seats, but not really. It's 2 and gear. The Maule has the extension, the door, power and the payload to be 4 seats... and little gear.

Comment

I think a year from now, if they are selling SXS kits, there will be questions on this forum about a baggage door option and a small rear seat. And then see if they can shoehorn an IO-540 under the cowl.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
              Mark Goldberg commented
              Editing a comment
              Could be. But then again it could be a popular model. You never know unless you try. We are only putting it into production because a customer wanted exactly that and made an order. AND we will certainly still be offering the 4 place. Mark

I think Bob and Mark have done a great thing! I really like the tandem configuration of my Patrol, but my wife would prefer SxS. I mostly fly solo and we do have another SxS, so it’s not a big deal. Another offering, in the Bearhawk line, can only add interest and exposure. As a (former) businessman, I know that it takes nerve and money to venture into a new product line. My hat's off to Mark! I hope there’s a lot of interest in the new model......whatever it’s named.
            You know, Lancair had significant success with turboprops. When a good friend got his 4 place Bearhawk kit, a couple of us suggested that we hang an Allison on it. Wouldn’t that be cool! TurboHawk! And I'd be lying if I said I hadn’t considered a 540 on the Patrol.
            We all like choices. More options, configurations and choices are nothing but good, in my opinion.

And I didn’t even mention a turboprop Patrol!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
              Over the years there have been countless people who have asked us for a two place side by side model. Just taking out the back seat of the 4 place would sort of do that. But the changes Bob wants to make to the "new" fuselage should result in plane that flies more like a Patrol than the 4 place. According to Bob - various design features are required when all that weight can be carried so far aft. When the need to carry all that weight far aft disappears, some design changes result that make the plane more sporty. Handling more like a Patrol. So this new model will not be the same as just taking the back seat out of a 4 place. Mark
              Thanks for this explanation Mark.

It goes to show how much Bob understands aircraft design, it's great to watch a Master at work.

Comment

I see a similarity between guys who fly aircraft and guys who drive ATVs. I live in extreme northern Wisconsin where ATVs are ubiquitous. Young kids and old men have been tearing up the countryside on these things for years (except when the snow gets too deep). I even have a 25 year old 4x4 model that is great for pulling firewood out of the back-40. It is powerful, doesn't need a trail ... narrow enough to fit between most sizable trees.

Yet, what seems to be selling like hotcakes these days? .... the new Side-by-Side models. They are getting bigger and fancier every year. They now have enclosed cabs with windows all around. It is getting more difficult to tell them from a pickup-truck. One of these new models would be totally useless for me. They require a trail almost as wide as a pickup-truck; the top-of-the-line models cost more than I paid for my Dodge Ram when it was new. Yet all the guys seem to be going into dept up to their ears to buy one. Maybe it's a fad, I don't know. All I know is that I don't need or want one.

To each his own, I guess.
                Last edited by bergy; 08-18-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Mark (or someone else in case I missed it), do you have an best-guess price on the kit? I’d be interested in how it falls in line with the other Bearhawks. If not, no worries, just wanted to ask. I can understand if it’s too soon for one.
                  John Wiltberger
                  Model B - #1544B
                  Maricopa, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Bdflies View Post
                    I think Bob and Mark have done a great thing! I really like the tandem configuration of my Patrol, but my wife would prefer SxS. I mostly fly solo and we do have another SxS, so it’s not a big deal. Another offering, in the Bearhawk line, can only add interest and exposure. As a (former) businessman, I know that it takes nerve and money to venture into a new product line. My hat's off to Mark! I hope there’s a lot of interest in the new model......whatever it’s named.
                    You know, Lancair had significant success with turboprops. When a good friend got his 4 place Bearhawk kit, a couple of us suggested that we hang an Allison on it. Wouldn’t that be cool! TurboHawk! And I'd be lying if I said I hadn’t considered a 540 on the Patrol.
                    We all like choices. More options, configurations and choices are nothing but good, in my opinion.

And I didn’t even mention a turboprop Patrol!

Bill
                    It would be really cool, but turboprops just drink fuel down low. You'd need the entire wing as a fuel tank to carry enough fuel to make it worthwhile. Think 30gph at econ cruise.

I don't know if Maule still sells the M7-420 but it had a range of about 1.5 hours.

Comment

Mark Goldberg ,
                      I'm hearing about Bob's injury, ultralight development, one sxs kit already on order and in production... Did I miss a step? Has the Companion prototype been built and tested already?
                      Mark
                      Scratch building Patrol #275
                      Hood River, OR

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
                        Mark Goldberg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No. The first one for a customer will be in essence the prototype. However, there are not a lot of unknowns about all this. It is, more or less, a combination of things done before with a few added modifications. Not like starting at zero by any means. Bob feels like this will be a really good flying plane. Able to get in and land shorter than a 4 place because of the lower weight. Should be comparable to a Patrol. Mark

• So the sxs is different from the 4 place b model how ? Shorter fuse ? Shorter wings? I ask because 2 years ago I e-mailed Bob asking if there was any interested in a sxs model, his reply was no so I bought plans for b model

Comment

The fuselage will not be shorter on the companion.. But the aft cargo bulkhead will move forward one bay. The cargo doors will not be there. There are a couple other changes to the fuselage as well that will help it fly more like a Patrol. It will use standard Patrol wings. Mark

Comment

I typed up a post a week ago about just moving the cargo bulkhead forward 1 bay. I deleted it instead of posting it.

Comment

Working...
                          X