Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Companion Model Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Companion Model Details

Seems like a good idea to post here some of the information about the new Companion model. This will be up on our website in a day or two. Mark
    Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

If I was starting a Bearhawk today that might well be the model I selected. I say that because it will be rare that I use the rear seats. I love the centerline seating of the Patrol but it would be hard to get my wife to travel with me. The 200# gross increase over the Patrol and large baggage area make it very attractive.

Comment

What is the stall speed Mark? it looks like this could be built to Canadian AULA (Advanced Ultra Light Aircraft ) conformity if the stall speed is 39Kts (45mph ) at max take off weight.

Comment

Our LSA does meet the AULA category. Mike Silvernagle is building one right now for that category. The 2200 lb gross weight will not work for the AULA. Max gross is 1232 lbs. As I understand it. Mark

Comment

haha, oops! forgot about that. thanks Mark.

Comment

Is a Companion prototype to be built and tested before kits/plans are offered?
            Frank Forney
            Englewood CO
            https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
            EAA Chapter 301

Comment

We have offered the kits for sale because we feel confident that the Companion's flying qualities are not exactly an unknown. The Patrol wing/airfoil has been flying on the Patrol and the Model B 4-place. Our intention is to do some flight testing on the first one finished up whoever/where ever that might be. But because the Companion derived from the Patrol & 4-place, Bob is comfortable that it will fly well. Perhaps some minor tweaking might be required as far as CG specs and the angle of incidence of the hor stabs. But all very manageable and not breaking too much new ground.

But certainly a fair question to ask. Mark

Comment

I see Bob has increased the up elevator to 35 degrees. Is the tail-plane the same as the 4 place?

Comment

Yes. Bob had us increase the elevator up to more than 30 degrees on all the models. Mark

Comment

So that includes the "A" model as well?

Comment

I was considering a patrol with a corvair powerplant when I saw the news release on the Companion. Is it feasible to install the 120hp variant in the Companion or are you limited to 150+ hp?

Comment

I think 120 HP would not be enough for you to get the performance expected from the Companion. 150 - 210 HP is what Bob recommends. It would fly with 120 HP, but take off and climb would not be what is expected from Bob's designs. The LSA is a candidate for the Corvair engine. But not the bigger planes with higher gross weight. Mark

Comment

Maybe I missed it somewhere. What is the cockpit width at the shoulders?

Comment

Thanks Mark

Comment

Same as 4 place. About 43". MG

Comment

Working...
                              X