Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Companion Model Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like 50 degrees flaps too? I thought they were all running 40?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/fastfox23
    Patrol plans #398

Comment

Originally posted by Russellmn View Post
      Looks like 50 degrees flaps too? I thought they were all running 40?
      52 degrees has been standard on the 4-place from day one.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post

52 degrees has been standard on the 4-place from day one.
        My Patrol plans show 40 degrees...
        Patrol plans #398

Comment

My Patrol plans show 40 degrees...
          The Companion is a modified 4-place fuselage. I believe the wing is the same shape between the Bravo and Patrol. It's the fuselage lever which sets the flap angles.
          Last edited by Battson; 10-01-2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Battson View Post

The Companion is a modified 4-place fuselage. I believe the wing is interchangeable between the Bravo and Patrol. It's the fuselage lever which sets the flap angles.
            So when I build one, I should be able to run an extra notch and get 50? (Or simply space out the detents to get there in 4...)
            Patrol plans #398

Comment

So when I build one, I should be able to run an extra notch and get 50? (Or simply space out the detents to get there in 4...)
              It depends what you build, of course. The plans call for 50 degrees of flaps on the Companion and 4-place. I have no knowledge of the Patrol flap handle.

I can report that I modified my flap quadrant to get 57 degrees of flap out of my Bearhawk 4-place. The extra drag is a good thing for STOL ops.

Comment

I learned from watching videos that the flap position in flight is quite a bit less than it is on the ground, for the same handle position. The cable and the rest of the system allow for some stretch. Russ set his flaps so that the cable was tighter on the ground, deflecting the flaps some at handle position zero while on the ground.

Comment

Give me permission to think outloud for a minute or two.

Reference post #14. I am uncomfortable with the idea that the Model B wing is interchangeable with the Patrol. The two wings use the same airfoil. They may fit on both airframes. But the Model B is designed to carry more weight than the Patrol, and has other things that are different like the aileron bell crank.

But A menagerie of thoughts go thru my mind when I read about the Companion's Flaps 50 setting, the Patrol's Flap 40 setting, and the Four place's flaps.

-Should I make a change like that on my Patrol too?
                  -The Model B wing is not identical to the Patrol, But bearhawkaircraft.com says "The Companion uses the Patrol wing".
                  -So, Is the Companion wing really identical structurally or are its spars modified at all?
                  -Why does the Companion have a Flap 50 setting while the Patrol has 40 degree?
                  -Is the Companion flap identical to the Patrol, or is it beefier?
                  -The Companion flaps 50 speed is 75 MPH, the Patrol Flap 40 speed is 65 MPH. Hummmmm.
                  -A number of Patrol owners fabricated a longer flap handle pulling 40 degrees Flaps with 65 MPH limitation. How much more force will the Companion required to pull an extra 10 degrees?
                  -How much more force does 50 degrees apply to the rear spar? Which leads me back to bullet #3.
                  -Does the Companion have a longer flap handle to aid in pulling an extra 10 degrees.
                  -Bob has told me that "A lot of bad ideas float around on the internet." so hat would Bob say about it?
                  -If I pull 40 degrees at 65 MPH and somehow quantified that pull force, then slow down so that 50 degrees was the same force, it would be a good indicator I bet of forces applied to the whole wing.....maybe 50 degrees at 55 mph or even 50 mph.

Brooks Cone
                  Southeast Michigan
                  Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

The Patrol wing and Model B use the same ribs. The Patrol cap strips are smaller for the lesser gross weight, and the skins are thinner. They also use different aileron bellcranks.. The steel wing parts on the Patrol wing are also one size thinner steel in most cases. So the wings are identical in shape but a little stronger for the Model B for the heavier gross weight.

I will ask Bob about the difference in the 40 degrees vs 50 degree flap settings, and let you know what he says. Mark

Comment

The Model B flaps should go down close to 50 degrees according to Bob. The linkages and flap handle on the Companion are the same as the Model B as opposed to the Patrol. That is why the Patrol shows 40 degrees and the new Companion 50 like the Model B. According to Bob. Mark

Comment

Would there be any advantage to 50 degrees on the Patrol? Or does Bob think 40 is all it can take?
                        Patrol plans #398

Comment

With the Patrol flap set up the way it is, I don’t think you can get a safe angle of cable in and out of the pulley with 10 more degrees of activation. The way it is now with the arc of the lever on the rod end, it rubs on both sides of the last pulley from 0 to 40*.

Comment

Working...
                          X