Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Spark Plug Access Through Engine Baffling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Spark Plug Access Through Engine Baffling

Anyone else installed their engine baffling only to realize you can't get a socket on the top plugs because the baffling is in the way? I've seen holes cut in the baffling for this. What sort of plates/doors have others done for temporary access that can be closed back up?
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

The Van's baffle kit that I installed on my O-540 uses two countersink washers and a machine screw to close the access holes on #3 and #6. I can't remember if #8 or #10 right now. I was considering adding a rubber washer to get a little better seal.

The access hole is just large enough for socket extension, not the sparkplug socket.
    Last edited by John Bickham; 01-22-2020, 09:31 AM.
    Thanks too much,
    John Bickham

Los Lunas, NM Mid Valley Airpark E98
    BH Plans #1117
    Avipro wings/Scratch
    http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....er&project=882

Comment

• robcaldwell
      robcaldwell commented
      Editing a comment
      I also have a small access on #5 & #6 for an extension. But I still cannot get the socket on all 6 top plugs.

You will not have a problem, the baffles can be pushed out of the way.
    The rear cylinders are the hardest for force out of the way, but it's still what you are going to do... Much faster than removing those washers.
    If they are being particularly difficult, the trick is to remove the socket from the driver, slip it onto the plug, and then run the driver at an angle without fully engaging it.

Comment

• robcaldwell
      robcaldwell commented
      Editing a comment
      I see what you are saying, Jon. I just loosened the baffling screws a bit and pulled the baffles out. That did it. Thanks!

For some of the tight spots get a extensions that have a semi swivel cut to them that allow the extension to go at a slight angle.

They do make the tight spots like the back plugs a lot easier to access.

We also turn the Plug sockets down to as small (short) as possible to easier fit into the tight spots.

Comment

Working...
    X