Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DAR inspection paperwork question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAR inspection paperwork question

Hi all, I am nearing my DAR inspection and with all the paperwork he is asking for completion of the Fabrication and Assembly checklist. In getting my RV7 inspected in 2014, I did not have to do this form, I thought because it was an FAA approved kit. Did you guys have to complete this form on your Bearhawk?
    thanks for your input.

I'll be interested to hear what others have to say about this as well. I've not seen a reference to this form in any of the preparation material I have. Although I do need to start bearing down and studying more on the subject as that time is approaching for me.
    Rob Caldwell
    Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
    EAA Chapter 309
    Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
    YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
    1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I understand there is a new method online to apply for the inspection. Anyone who can inform us what the new changes are - that would be great. Mark

Comment

The famous form, there is always more crap. What was the purpose, I do not know. In that my bird was scratch built with only a couple factory parts,bearings and wing strut materials. At what point is the 51 percent of task covered in the infinite wisdom.of the FAA. Stinger
        Attached Files

Comment

Are you asking about this form? https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/...syCklistFW.pdf

If so then yes, all builders have to fill it out. That is the FAA’s method to determine 51% compliance. Even if the plane is scratch built it may not meet 51% depending on how much commercial assistance was used. My DAR filled out the form himself while asking me questions during the oral portion of his inspection.
          Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
            Mark Goldberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Previously, this form only had to be filled out if the kit was not on the FAA 51% approved list like the 4 place QB kit is. Mark

• whee
            whee commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I confused myself on which checklist my DAR used. In the middle of my certification the local FSDO changed the paperwork and I had to redo some of it. I can’t find my certification package at the moment but I know my DAR filled out a 51% checklist and does so at every inspection. That’s how they make sure the plane meets the 51% rule. A builder of a FAA approved kit may not meet the 51% rule if they paid someone to assemble some or all of the kit and that is why my DAR said a checklist is required.

This form/requirement must be new; no mention of it by my DAR three years ago.

Comment

So a chapter scratch builds a plane. Twenty four people work on the plane each contributing an equal amount of time. Is the DAR saying that one person in the group can not apply for the repairman certificate. I don’t think so.

Comment

• JimParker256
              JimParker256 commented
              Editing a comment
              Presumably, those 24 people were not paid for their work, and were participating for the educational value as the regulations intend. No impact whatsoever on the 51% rule, since there was no "commercial assistance" involved.

However, although 24 people participated, only one (1) can be issued the repairman's certificate for that airplane.

• Bdflies
              Bdflies commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with Jim. I’ve been aware of a couple of builder partnerships, wherein nobody was paid, but work was shared equally. Only one could apply for a Repairman's Certificate.
          Working...
          X