Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shock Strut clearance holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock Strut clearance holes

I know somewhere I've seen a drawing of the clearance hole required in the boot cowl for the shock struts. I've done a search and looked through the engineering changes, checked the plans and the build manual etc but can't find it. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    Last edited by PaulSA; 02-01-2021, 03:46 AM.

Is this it? I recently uodated that page with some nice additions by Bruce.
    If you have any trouble accessing it, let me know and I'll email a pdf.

Comment

• PaulSA
      PaulSA commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have access. It was a simple drawing giving the dimensions of the oval shape required to give the appropriate clearance

• jaredyates
      jaredyates commented
      Editing a comment
      Paul, I've sent the pdf of the original article and Bruce's PDFs to your yahoo email address, let me know if you don't get them please!

• PaulSA
      PaulSA commented
      Editing a comment
      Got it - many thanks ,,,,

Let me know if you need the drawings and I'll forward the .pdf's to you.

Comment

Could I get these drawings as well? Thanks!

Comment

I would like a copy as well. Thanks.

Comment

I would like a copy also. Thanks

Comment

Jared sent the drawings to me and I don't want to re-post them without his permission .........

Comment

The drawing are posted on Bearhawk Tips: https://bearhawk.tips/772

I also used these sealing plates for my landing gear. Unfortunately I did this after I was already flying. It would have been better if I had incorporated these when I was building. It is just more difficult as an after thought.

During the build, I made the oleo strut openings way too large initially, and did not seal them very well. As a result, I experienced a LOT of carbon monoxide infiltrating the cabin while in flight. So much so, my CO detector (https://www.thinairenergy.com/geiger-co) was going nuts! My eyes were stinging and I was getting pretty woozy. Not good!

I ended up installing Bruce's covers and made the seals from a heavy duty tractor tire inner tube. One on the inside, and another on the outside. I also made small AL fairings to push exhaust down and away from the openings. My CO detector is much happier and my brain is working again in flight!

All joking aside, this is a pretty big deal! One can into real trouble if exhaust is finding its way into the cabin. My advice is, make sure you get this area built right and COMPLETELY sealed up!
              Rob Caldwell
              Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
              EAA Chapter 309
              Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
              YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
              1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

• Mark Dickens
                Mark Dickens commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for that comment! I will definitely make sure this is sealed up. Now if only I didn't have to pay $90.00 to get a look at that drawing. I guess I'll reinvent the wheel!

• jaredyates
                jaredyates commented
                Editing a comment
                Mark, try to refresh the page and see if it will let you view it. I have made a change on my end so that you can see it based on your access to the kit builder manual.

• Mark Dickens
                Mark Dickens commented
                Editing a comment
                Outstanding! Thanks!

it would be nice if this info were included in the plans?

Comment

• jaredyates
                jaredyates commented
                Editing a comment
                The Beartracks are kind of an extension of the plans. The first five years are consolidated into a book which is included with the plans, and this covers many of the more fundamental details. Over the years there have been several other ways to do things that builders have come up with, and shared in various venues. Skipping the classified ads and just printing the content would exceed 125 pages, some of which is flying stories, and some of which is techniques and building information. The article in question is from 2006. I have not yet had anyone come back after purchasing the Beartracks archive to say that they didn't get their money's worth.
            Working...
            X