Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 Place “B” Wing vs Patrol Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Place “B” Wing vs Patrol Wing

Does anyone know what the structural differences are between the two wings? IE: skin thickness, spars, attach fitting buildup?
    Thanks
    Steve P204

The color drawing should have been made left to right.
    Sheet 1 032 is the root
    The 032 is a full 12 feet long piece wrapped around the root rib area.

The next sheet is 025

All of the other sheets are 020 including the underside of the wing.

skin.jpg

The main spar has a maximum of 4 capstrip layers of (1 inch by 1/8 inch 2024 ) (2 layers on front of spar 2 layers on rear of main spar) both top and bottom of the spar have such capstrips. The 4 layers (1/2 inch) are only at maximum load. Other sections have less.

The rear spar is 1/6 x 3/4 2024 capstrips. One layer in the front top and bottom and 1 layer on the rear top and bottom.
    Stan
    Austin Tx

Comment

Thanks Stan. Without looking at my plans, I think you are referring to a Patrol wing. I have that. Was wondering what the differences are between the Patrol wing and the “B” wing? They are the same airfoil but one is for 2k gross weight and the other is for 2.5k.
      I used .025 skins on the bottom and top except for the last two outer top panels, 020 and of course .032 at the root.
      My question is where is the B wing strengthened to take the extra 500 lbs?

Comment

The cap strips are 1.25" x .125 on the four place as opposed to 1" x .125 on the Patrol. Mark

Comment

Steve,

What was the reason for using extra 025 as opposed to the 020 - under the wing and in the middle of the wing?

stan
          Stan
          Austin Tx

Comment

Thanks Mark. I gather the strut fittings are stronger over the Patrol? I’ve seen the 4place struts.

To Stan, I just liked working with the thicker aluminum and liked how it laid on the ribs versus the .020. Also forms a stronger “D” cell on the wing and carries the load beyond the strut attach points on the .025 skin. Think it was 7 lbs a wing or was for both. Can’t remember.

Comment

Steve
              which way did you start putting on sheets
              root or tip?
              Stan
              Austin Tx

Comment

Started at the tip.

Comment

Working...
                X