Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wide body bearhawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like the model 5 with bubble doors is as good as it will get for a wide bearhawk. At the current quickbuild prices the model 5 is a no brainer if your ok with a large engine

Comment

The engine is as large as your power setting. We typically pull back to10 gpm or less at cruise on O-540.
      Bob kept the Model 5 very light and there are many choices for "economical" 6 cylinder powerplants.
      It all comes back to mission purpose and purse.

Comment

• Battson
        Battson commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly right. The 540 is hardly any more expensive to operate. If we fly with Cubs, we burn fuel with the cubs. The -540 cores are cheaper than the -360

• zkelley2
        zkelley2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Due to wildly less drag, if I fly with cubs, I burn 1-2gph less than cubs.

Originally posted by Sir Newton View Post
      Widening the fuselage will add drag translating to a slower over all aircraft. However ! If you widen any BH designs there are a few things you should think through before deciding final dimensions. For example BH generally uses Cessna windshields. Interesting topic though.

FYI, I quickly googled Cessna 185 cabin dimensions BearHawk is already considerably taller, wider, deeper. STN D-N is huge 44"! IMHO build yourself some fancy as s Bubble windows & be done with it.

Or easier yet. Go with the Patrol model. Tandem seating 30" wide.
      You raise some great points here

There is a guy online who is making homemade race car windshields with a converted gas bar-b-que...oven

all the basics are the same...anyone who works out a good bubble window could make some money making them for others...

Comment

Angle valve IO-540'-s are the cheaper than PV's. Conti 470-'s to 550's are more common than PV Lycoming 540's. Plus props are more available used/rebuilt. I am happy with my B model build, but if I was starting now I would do a model 5 with a Conti or AV Lyc, and used or rebuilt prop. It would be cheaper, more room, and more useful load.

Comment

Originally posted by N969DP View Post
          Has anyone plans built the fuselage but made it considerably wider
          Mine is wider, not considerably - but I made seaplane doors that have about one extra inch via a slight curve each side. Not sure if it was needed but there’s a ton of room. My arm doesn’t touch the door with elbows beside, there’s about 1.5” from my elbow to the window with arm lowered. With hand on joystick it’s way clear.

Look how happy I am

DE55B53E-EBA1-49FC-94DA-56B77FA1F53E.jpeg
          Nev Bailey
          Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
          YouTube - Build and flying channel
          Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Working...
          X