Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adel Clamps and Clip Nuts (Monadnoks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adel Clamps and Clip Nuts (Monadnoks)

Towards the end of one of Collins' Model 5 videos he mentioned using clip nuts and Adel clamps together. That is the only place I have seen it mentioned but I find the combination incredibly useful, especially if it is something that will be disassembled for maintenance/servicing, etc. I have used them in a half a dozen different ways. It sure beats trying to do it the "normal" way, even with the proper tools, which I have.

For stuff that will rarely if ever be touched, I just use them the normal way. clip1.jpgclip2.jpgclip3.jpg

The first picture is a spark plug organizer, and one of the two 6/32 bolts holding it together is extra long, and goes thru the #6 clip nut on the clamp. The second pic is behind the firwall, a #8 clip nut that captures the tubing, and on the other side is 1/2X1/2X1/16" angle, that spans two pieces of tubing, and the top and bottom of the oil cooler mount to reinforce that mount. The thirds is a fuel line to the firewall, the last is the base of the windshield. I wanted one more bolt down low for the windshield fairing strip, close to the end of it. That is a #8 that seems to do the job well.

Two other ways to use them, that I haven't yet, is like the fuel line pic, but use an extra long screw, from the backside of the clip, and use it as a stud on the other side, instead of inserting a screw from the other side. Another would be to drill out the threads, and just use the whole thing as a bushing to hold the clip nut together, and use a regular bolt, or stud, from the other side.

The clip nut clicks into place, holding the adel clamp together, but not completely tight. I allows you to move it around a bit. To reinstall, just use one hand to hold it in place until you get the threads started. When you snug up the screw, it also tightens the clamp completely.
    Last edited by svyolo; 10-18-2021, 06:08 PM.

Another great use would be to attach interior upholstery panels to the fuse frame, rather than tabs welded in.

​​​​​

Comment

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      I made up a bunch .025 AL ones that are permanently. Had I know better I would have used these.

Can you point me to these videos? I'd love to peek at how Colin does his work.
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

Got it. Jared's link goes right to that section. Thanks!
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
    X