Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floats on a BearHawk 4 place.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floats on a BearHawk 4 place.

I am interested in putting my BearHawk 4 place on floats. Been thinking about it for a few months and looking at best value/options. If there is anyone out there who has any information about the subject I would appreciate it. I found a set of EDO 2960 floats on Craigslist that were very reasonable. They were off of a 180. They weigh about 490 pounds. Wondering if those would be a good fit to my BearHawk?

2960s are too long for the BH, they are normally for the C185. They are notorious for dragging their heels on takeoff. 2960s are 2870s that have been extended by EDO to increase their allowable gross weight. But they can be modified to the 2870 length by cutting off about the last 18in, a relatively common modification. Rob Taylor has flown his BH for I think three seasons now on 2870s and he says it's the perfect float for the BH. For whatever reason some aluminum floats such as 2960s are pretty cheap these days. I suspect the folks that know how to work on them are slowly dying off and composite floats even though they can be expensive have some distinct advantages.

A bit of advice, buy a set of floats that do not need any work and aren't a compromise. Not even a bit of "just need to patch this hole" stuff. Floats can be difficult to work on and even simple repairs are time bandits with those things. BTDT, not fun.

Comment

Aqua 2400s are used on Maules and are a good, rugged float, flat tops. Don't let the 2400 designation fool you, they are good for 2700# gross.

Comment

• alaskabearhawk
        alaskabearhawk commented
        Editing a comment
        Not all Aqua 2400s have the same flotation/GW rating. Why the company did that is a mystery to me, but you have to look at the data plate to see what the actual rating is. I know the later Aqua 2400 floats have different sized strut material.

Baumann made the 2550A but are very rare to find. Montana Float and Clamar Floats are other options discussed in other threads on the forum.

Not to deviate the thread, but what are people finding work out well with a Patrol (thinking PK 2200?)

Comment

• Steve W
        Steve W commented
        Editing a comment
        PK 2300’s are a bit heavier than similar sized EDO but are a good float. If I was going on straight floats, I’d look at EDO 2150 or ever 2000’s. Lots of them around. Baumann 2100’s, if you can find them, are considered a great performing float by Supercub pilots. One thing I would ensure you find is a float that uses a booster profile on the bottom skins. Some have only strips of angle like what’s on the bottom of Zenair’s floats. Fine for the little ones but no so good on aircraft over 1500 lb. Very “sticky”on the water.
        Two things you wish you had more of when on the water, horse power and bigger floats!
    Working...
    X