Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santa came late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa came late

This is the pile of G3X equipment for a dual 10" screen GPS enroute and approach IFR system. Ordered in October, mostly arrived in November, a few items early in December and the last piece, the GNX375 IFR navigator/transponder finally arrived yesterday. I had previously ordered all the connector kits and have slowly been bench wiring the panel and extensive wiring harness. I'm keeping it together with loose fitting zip ties. When installed in the plane and all the airframe wiring incorporated will use nylon wire lacing and adel clamps to secure the wiring bundles. Took some serious pre-planning of wire harness routing and homes for the 5 G3X remote boxes, the two Lightspeed Ignition control boxes and two B&C alternator regulators. Now that I have the last tray mounted unit, I can complete the center stack structure and support system.

DSCF1924.jpg

It’s amazing and sobering how much the stack
    builds up both in dollars and size. I just finished my G3 panel, feature creep is hard to avoid..

Comment

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      The incredible capabilities of this system is what amazes me. A big financial investment, but about 25% of the cost of a similar system in a certified aircraft.

I excited to have a 3 axis autopilot for the first time as it will be a great relief on long cross countries.

Comment

Originally posted by spinningwrench View Post
      I excited to have a 3 axis autopilot for the first time as it will be a great relief on long cross countries.
      I'm initially going with 2 axis, but I have a location for a yaw damper and will incorporate a connector for it in the wiring harness in case I decide it is necessary.

Comment

• spinningwrench
        spinningwrench commented
        Editing a comment
        I decided to tackle the yaw axis up front as I thought going back would be to painful. I welded tabs behind the baggage compartment to hold the pitch and yaw servos. It turned out pretty well.

• rodsmith
        rodsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        I also welded tabs to mount the generic servo mount, so it should be a rather painless retrofit.
    Working...
    X