Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aileron control stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is all largely over my head but the subject has been studied in depth/documented well and the material is available. I got a kick out of Dan Raymer's book "Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders" The flutter section basically states "refer to a good reference on the subject when designing your plane" Hmmm..... I thought that's why I bought this book

Design of Light Aircraft by Richard D Hiscocks has a good section on flutter and stiffness. He worked at De Havilland and was involved in many of the aircraft they produced including the Beaver. I believe he also had a hand in the Murphy Aircraft designs (Rebel). Briefly reviewing the section several factors impact aileron flutter: wing stiffness in deflection and torsion, aileron torsional stiffness, aileron shape and hinge location, aileron center of mass/CG, control circuit stiffness, etc.

Flaps exist on a portion of the wing that moves less and is inherently more rigid. Ailerons are out further where the wing has the most deflection up/down and twisting.

The LSA ailerons may not be statically balanced on the hinge line but that doesn't mean a great deal of care wasn't placed in their static/dynamic balance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lsa140; 01-17-2018, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• bergy
      bergy commented
      Editing a comment
      The flaps may be closer to the wing root, but their stiffness is still critical. Itzhak Perlman can rub a few horse-hairs across a violin's steel string within an inch of its supporting bridge, yet the resultant vibrations fill a concert hall with music.

• Chris In Milwaukee
      Chris In Milwaukee commented
      Editing a comment
      Hiscocks is my favorite design book
Working...
X