Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk LSA Annual Inspection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk LSA Annual Inspection

Annual inspection 135 hrs. Upon inspection I found rod end bearing GMM-3m-680 jam nut loose and rod end rotating inside push pull rod threaded area. NOT GOOD . Stick movement left and right caused bearing outer surface to make contact with inside of idler bell crank causing it to come loose. Repair: installed spacers , one on each side of rod bearing , however spacers must not touch side of bearing restricting it's movement. Area of concern Red rod end. May also be of interest to Patrol . Stinger
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

bearing joggle 2.jpg I asked Bob about this when I built mine and his response was "Leave it loose and lubricate the threads".

I wasn't comfortable with that so joggled the ears out about 1/8" on either side and use some spacers(made from tubing) so the rod end could be fixed with the lock nut and provide enough rotation without touching the ears.

I faintly remember there being a discussion on here at the time.

Attached is a photo. Upon final assembly, I replaced the washers shown with short pieces of tubing.
    Last edited by BTAZ; 02-20-2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• stinger
      stinger commented
      Editing a comment
      Good Morning, I agree , I felt it was a very dangerous . The picture looks like I spread a lot but it is actually 1/8 also. Stinger

I welded up a new, wider swing hangar which gives clearance to the rod end bearing in its extreme positions. Wasn’t comfortable leaving the rod end loose or bending out the ears on the weldment.

Comment

• stinger
      stinger commented
      Editing a comment
      Good job, of course I did not originally see the area of concern I would have followed your lead . Stinger

I used 3/4 .049 for the vertical with no joggle in my flat plates. I don't normally venture away from the plans but I saw potential misalignment problems. I machined some .190 misalignment spacers for each side.

Comment

• stinger
      stinger commented
      Editing a comment
      Good Eye , keep plugging along . Stinger

Good info, thanks guys. Will take note.

Comment

Working...
    X