Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matco 8” Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matco 8” Wheels

I recently received my 8” wheels from Matco for my LSA project and have a question about mounting the brake plate. For some unknown (to me) reson, the brake plate has a 1.5” inner diameter, but the LSA axles are 1.25”. So some method has to be devised to center the brake plate on the axle. Does this imply that I have to create a bushing to be used as a fixture that is 1.5” OD and 1.25” ID? I really can’t understand why Matco provides a larger diameter brake plate for a wheel that is designed for a smaller axle. Maybe they also sell the same wheel for a 1.5” axle but only sell the one size brake plate?

Ivan Haecker LSA QB
    ps. In case anyone notices, I am also building a Patrol. But since I retired last year, I have a second home and have been spending some time at the second location and was going bonkers not having a project. Plus I got to fly Mark’s LSA and fell in love with it....

Ivan - this seems a good question for Matco. I will go look at my LSA later today and try to confirm whether my parts are the same as you describe. Mark

Comment

I can not see the parts you are questioning about without taking my wheels off. So best to call Matco and ask. Mark

Comment

Originally posted by H. Ivan Haecker View Post
        I recently received my 8” wheels from Matco for my LSA project and have a question about mounting the brake plate. For some unknown (to me) reson, the brake plate has a 1.5” inner diameter, but the LSA axles are 1.25”. So some method has to be devised to center the brake plate on the axle. Does this imply that I have to create a bushing to be used as a fixture that is 1.5” OD and 1.25” ID? I really can’t understand why Matco provides a larger diameter brake plate for a wheel that is designed for a smaller axle. Maybe they also sell the same wheel for a 1.5” axle but only sell the one size brake plate?

Ivan Haecker LSA QB
        ps. In case anyone notices, I am also building a Patrol. But since I retired last year, I have a second home and have been spending some time at the second location and was going bonkers not having a project. Plus I got to fly Mark’s LSA and fell in love with it....
        Axles generally have a larger diameter shoulder for the inner bearing to rest against. The brake plate has to slide over this section. The machined axles that Matco sells have a larger diameter section at the base of the axle and a radius into the mounting flange. I'm guessing they make the brake plate inner diameter large enough to slide over the bearing shoulder and clear this radius when bolted to the axle mounting flange.

I used a larger piece of 4130 tubing as a temporary bushing to center the brake plate and drilled the mounting bolt holes.
        Last edited by lsa140; 02-11-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

That make good sense and now I understand. I’ll create a small fixture to center the brake plate. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X