Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in the Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bunch of Good Stuff came in last week ! Radios and such. Changed my mind on instruments too. Ordered a GRT Sport 10.1 EFIS with their engine monitor, that'll be here in a few weeks. Then I can start wiring up the panel (-:
    Attached Files

Comment

I really like the GRT stuff I have, and being a native Michigander feel good about sending them my money. If you mean the engine monitor I think you do, the concept is brilliantly simple. Once setup (and that's so easy to do, you can actually change the parameters in flight) a panel mounted light glows steady if all is AOK. If it starts flashing, you have reached the upper limit of a particular function. This frees you from continually scanning multiple readouts, it's an idiot light in effect, but a good one, freeing up your attention for flying the darn plane. I have had mine flash one time, and it worked. I blew a seam in my radiator (Rotax, 2600 hours, a seam got "work hardened" due to expansion and contraction, it was a Chinese core, not now) on climbout in 8 degree temps, the flashing light got my attention instantly, and I landed without further damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Cguy View Post
        I really like the GRT stuff I have, and being a native Michigander feel good about sending them my money. If you mean the engine monitor I think you do, the concept is brilliantly simple. Once setup (and that's so easy to do, you can actually change the parameters in flight) a panel mounted light glows steady if all is AOK. If it starts flashing, you have reached the upper limit of a particular function. This frees you from continually scanning multiple readouts, it's an idiot light in effect, but a good one, freeing up your attention for flying the darn plane. I have had mine flash one time, and it worked. I blew a seam in my radiator (Rotax, 2600 hours, a seam got "work hardened" due to expansion and contraction, it was a Chinese core, not now) on climbout in 8 degree temps, the flashing light got my attention instantly, and I landed without further damage.
        I opted for the Sport 10.1 EFIS and have the engine info on that screen to declutter the panel. And yes they have great features on the engine monitor, plus a reasonable price for the equipment.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm preparing to upgrade my panel on my RANS S-6ES to add a GRT EFIS as well. But I don't have room for the 10" version, so I've been going back and forth about whether I wanted to go with the Sport EX (7" display) or the Mini-AP (4" display – just barely larger than a 3 1/2" instrument it would replace). After doing some in-depth wiring planning (assigning serial port connections to all the various functions), it turns out that I would save less than $200 by going with the Mini, versus the Sport EX. So now that decision has been made. I will integrate my current GRT engine monitor (1-wire connection) to the Sport EX, and have graphical display of all the engine-related stuff as well.
          To make panel access easier, I'm going to cut an oversized rectangular section out of the existing panel, and use a sub-panel that will contain the GRT and a couple of other instruments (Belinte Radiant Instruments "Angle-of-Attack" and "Digital Altimeter"), plus the "Low Fuel" and "EIS" warning lights. I'll post a "mockup" picture if/when I ever get my Internet connection up and running again.
          Jim Parker
          Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
          RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

I replaced my steam gauge ASI, VSI, Altimeter and compass (a compass isn't needed if you don't night fly I believe, after realizing I had NEVER looked at the compass in the last 25 years in several planes, since GPS came out, I yanked mine) and replaced them all with a GRT Mini. It works great, saved a LOT of weight and to my surprise there was no period of getting used to it, it felt "right" first flight. Plus, I can now fly blind, using the artificial horizon and turn indicator. Just kidding, but it's fun to play around with it sometimes, in VFR conditions.

Comment

• jaredyates
              jaredyates commented
              Editing a comment
              In the US, 14CFR 91.205 (b)(3) requires a magnetic direction indicator (some folks mistakenly think this means a compass) for all VFR flight, day and night. This makes sense, because a GPS can only derive your track across the ground. A fancy GPS can take your magnetically-derived heading and compute winds and drift. In our plane, I don't have a panel-mounted compass, but instead use a magnetic sensor that displays its results on the instrument screens.

Yeah, I'll have a magnetometer installed in the wingtip.

Comment

More happenings, Finally!!!!

The Texas Winter Blizzard of 2021 put a big halt on my build! No power for 5 days in sub zero temps and 12 inches of snow, unheard of around these parts. Got all kinds of trees and plants dyeing off now.

Back at it. Nut plates on inspection covers, Fuel tank straps, cables and pullies. These pics will look familiar but not. Left wing well under way. Hope to be done in a week or so.

Side note, Weather was in the 80s today and took the Legal Eagle out for a spin (-:
              Attached Files

Comment

• svyolo
                svyolo commented
                Editing a comment
                I was in South Padre Island for the last 3 months, just left today. We were without power for 4 days, gas/diesel for a week, propane for almost 2 weeks, and groceries for about 10 days. Lots of fun.

Being in Texas with no energy is like? Unreal. Headed back to continue building starting today. I came here as a refugee from stupid. I almost was a refugee X 2. I am doing the paperwork to get residency here.

Not sure if I will finish my build in WA, or just get the engine mounted and move the whole project. It is easier to move with the engine mounted. I just need to cover the bottom of the fuse, and apply the seam tapes, and mount the engine.

• JimParker256
                JimParker256 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, being stuck in sub-zero weather without power or water, and unable to run to the store for groceries for a few days gives one a whole new appreciation for the early pioneers who made their lives in Texas... I think people were a LOT tougher then – at least a lot tougher than I am! I complain when the A/C in my fifth-wheel camper won't cool the interior below 75º in the summer when it's 105º outside...

That picture of the fuel tank bay really shows off the height/depth of the wing chord, whatever the proper term is, looks really STOLLY.

While Texas was out of power, and their wind turbines in the news, our wind farms here were churning away, properly set up from the getgo to de-ice themselves. But, a lot of extra money to do so, and down there it didn't pencil out I guess. I never realized the water lines were run in the ceiling down there, been living in freezing climates too long I guess.

Comment

More goodies for the panel and fabbed the magnetometer tray.
                Attached Files

Comment

All my paint is here along with exhaust and got word the engine is being assembled. I'm running out of parts to order!!!
                  Finished drilling the aileron to the wing. Time to rivet bottom skins.

Oh yeah, went ahead and got a set of 850 tundras(-:
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Sir Newton
                    Sir Newton commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Your making good progress, PropMan !

Bottom skin going on the left wing
                  Attached Files

Comment

Finally!!
                    Wings are done, all but paint an wingtip nut plates

Onward with the Fuselage.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Thanks Al.
                        taking me longer than I want. But making progress at least.

Comment

Tail surfaces are rigged, time to get the controls rigged and cables made!!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X